Bayonet Lens Shades Falling off

gatorpan

<p>I have a constant problem with bayonet lens shades falling off. I have both Nikon and Sigma Lens. This happens on both.<br>

Not only do the lens shades fall off, but sometimes they rotate on the lens. Thus the 'tulip' shape is not in the right position and can cause vignetting.<br>

I'm sure I am not the only one. Any ideas on preventing this?</p>

<p>Thanks, Rafi</p>

<p>I have the same problem -- clicked on as far as possible but the hoods seem to fall off with the least little bump. I don't have any solution except that I don't use the bayonet hoods anymore. I put screw-on collapsible rubber hoods on my primes and longer zooms, but not on shorter zooms because the hoods cause vignetting at the wide end. There are "3 stage" rubber hoods available which should work on shorter zooms but I don't use these because I once handed my camera to a relative who promptly popped the hood out and I ended up with a half roll of vignetted photos.</p>

<p>There are screw-on tulip hoods available on the big auction site, but I haven't tried them because I like to travel light with as small a pouch as I can get away with. I would find the lenses inconvenient to carry around with tulip hoods mounted.</p>

<p>I have looked for screw on hoods but I can’t seem to find one that is optimal for the zoom and even fixed lens I have. For example: my Sigma 30mm F1.4. Right now I bought new hoods for all the lost ones but I want to find a way to stop losing them in the combat of wedding and street photography.</p>

<p>Are you sure you have the correct hood for the lens?<br>

I have never had bayonet hoods fall off or even come loose. They are plastic so maybe the little notch/detent thing is worn away so that it doesn't lock any more?<br>

Unless you are continuously removing the hood to put away etc, I would just put the hood on in the right position and then use black masking tape to tape it to the lens barrel, making sure not to tape any focus/zoom rings down. You might also try to get some of that plumbers teflon tape stuff that sticks to itself and then wrap that round the hood bayonet on the lens. That should make the hood stiffer on the lens.</p>

<p>I'd carefully examine the hoods for hairline cracks in the mounting area, inside and out, and examine the mounting grooves on the lens for damage as well. The only bayonet hood I ever had get wonky was actually cracked, and the crack was very hard to see. My best guess was it happened from a bump to my camera bag, when the hood was actually mounted reversed.</p>

<p>If you a couple of lenses doing this and the hoods have been mounted/dismounted a lot in dusty or gritty environments, they might just have too much wear and might need to be replaced.</p>

<p>Thanks for the suggestions. Firstly, all the hoods are new or in good condition. (I have this issue with all 3 lens, 1xNikon and 2 x Sigma) Second: I think the only solution is something like Chuk and Randy have mentioned. That is, some kind of tape to hold the lens shades.<br>

Plumbers tape seems ideal but it’s white and might fall off easily and then get in the way. Anyway I will try various solutions.<br>

IMHO these lens shades are an easy/cheap way out for manufactures. I think then need some kind of lock to keep them in place.</p>

<p> Wrap the teflon tape around the lens a couple times. It may indeed fall off at some point,sure but is easily replaced. And then, if that fails, the tough decision is to keep the hood w tape on all the time...which is what I often do sans tape, crazy I guess. My lenses then are longer and my bags have to accommodate them. No one has designed a perfect attachment spring latch that will stay real tight, that is so. Probably is a reason for that but I know not what exactly. I guess If one whacks the lens hood in use and it "gives," then it serves a destructive protection value, in a sense...locked tight would not serve that purpose would it. My Olympus lens hoods stay fairly snug,but do rotate on me unexpectedly and I have to jigger them back into place. (On one lens I use a jury rig bellows hood from an older camera system. Takes a screw filter with a pro bellows shade, made for the Bronica SQ system. Big so and so, although a lightweight so and so, but as an asset, it is far more technically adjustable in length than a petal type .... When it is <em>on</em> it is really <em>on</em>.. It resembles, to give you a visual image, the kind on rail and bellows used on zoom for pro movie and video cameras. I only use it on my long tele zoom, 67 mm thread...it stays put for sure, has a worm set screw underneath that engages with a ratchet ring on the screw filter I mount on front of the lens.. I mention this to illustrate there is a tech solution usually... good luck with the tape thing first. aloha, gs</p>

<p>I will try it. I normally keep my screw on hoods on all the time so guess I will have to do this will with these as well. Of course the zoom lenses are longer than they should be for their focal lengths. But there appears to be no solution other than fixing the hood permanently. I’m glad to see I’m not alone with this problem.</p>

<p>Use only Gaffers Tape on your photo gear. It is a bit more expensive than other type tapes but will not leave a sticky residue on your gear. Taping your hood on may not look chik but this is what many professionals do.<br>

<a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/200815-REG/General_Brand.html">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/200815-REG/General_Brand.html</a></p>