Battery drain on EOS 600

steve george

Hi all

I'm new to the world of autofocus Canon after manual Nikon and have a

question.

My battery is running out ridiculously quickly. I've got an EOS 600

and it's managing about 2 rolls per battery at the moment which seems

silly. Is there something I'm doing or wrong or short of taking out

the battery between pictures is there no way I can avoid this drain?

Is there a chargeable battery pack I can get or should I just get

used to battery based photography being expensive?

The 600 - fantastic camera and my first SLR. It should not be doing this. Sorry for the implication, but you ARE switching it off between uses?

The only other thing I can think of is that the camera is continuously metering irrespective of whether it is on or off. I don't think it ought to matter to this degree even if is was metering all the time when it was switched on. Give the hassle of taking the battery out on a 600 if you were to do it each time, I think you might get fed up pretty soon.

Sorry this isn't a solution, but perhaps someone else will know a bit more...

Steve

I have a Canon 600 which had the same problem. I took it to a Canon Repair agent (Colchester Cameras in UK) and they diagonosed the problem as a fault in the LED top cover and replaced it. It cost me ?60 sterling approx.

I have had no problem since.

rgds

Tim

This is a well know flaw on the Canon 600 series... it is down to the capacitor on the LCD backlight shorting, the battery will drain even with the camera switched off...

I repaired mine following the instructions in the link (took me about 15 mins, and I'm no DIY'er) - I have since done another 3 for other people - don't be afraid (!) just get on and do it and save yourself a $100 repair bill or the same in 2CR5's....

<a href = "http://eosdoc.com/manuals.asp?q=ELfix">the fix</a>

• 6 years later...
  • 6 years later...
This is a well know flaw on the Canon 600 series... it is down to the capacitor on the LCD backlight shorting, the battery will drain even with the camera switched off...

I repaired mine following the instructions in the link (took me about 15 mins, and I'm no DIY'er) - I have since done another 3 for other people - don't be afraid (!) just get on and do it and save yourself a $100 repair bill or the same in 2CR5's....<a href = "http://eosdoc.com/manuals.asp?q=ELfix">the fix</a>

Can you remember what the instructions were, David? The link goes nowhere now - at least, nowhere of any use! Cheers /James

Can you remember what the instructions were, David? The link goes nowhere now - at least, nowhere of any use! Cheers /James

David wrote that in 2004 and his last comment on a forum here was in 2013, chances are he is not monitoring this thread, but maybe you'll be lucky.

I interrogated the link and it is absent the relevant thread's identifying nomenclature - that's the key element to finding the thread. I also searched all of David's other posts and I did not find.

I think you best search wider - something like "EOS 600 battery drain fix" in a good search engine gets many hits and several DIY answers.

WW