batch tagging and archiving

I'm trying to organise several thousand scans and would like to name each

picture as well as add exif data on each shot. I have begun doing so using

the 'file info' on photoshop cs2 but it's taking forever and i'd like to know

whether a batch procedure exists or indeed if it's any faster using iview,

which i also have, or even picassa which a lot of people speak highly of.

thanks

Karl Blackwell

If you're using CS2 you may as well download Adobe's Bridge and go down that route. In Bridge (or CS2) you can create a METADATA template and fill that with your metadata, save it, select a bunch of images and apply the templated metadata. As Bridge is a file browser of sorts, might be easier to perform this sort of task using Bridge over CS2. If it is EXIF data (as opposed to METADATA) you want apply your images you may need to look elsewhere. EXIF data (as far as I know) cannot be edited with Adobe tools. Not sure what the scene is with the tools you mentioned. Might be worthwhile looking at Photools' iMatch or IDimager. Either of those packages may offer EXIF editing. There may be other tools out there that do the same - as in doing a google search. HTH

I have ACDSee (v6) and use that for batch renaming - it's really intuitive and allows the auto insertion of whatever EXIF data you choose, in whatever format. I rename in ACDSee before importing into either IMatch or Photoshop, as it seems to have the simplest rename function.