Batch process large JPEG to smaller jpeg files

I am looking for a small program that will batch process a bunch of large JPEG

files in a directory to smaller JPEG files automatically so the smaller JPEG

files can be uploaded to a print service for making 4 x 6" prints. My camera

can produce RAW and JPEG files simultaneously but cannot create 2 different size

JPEG files simultaneously.

It depends what you mean by a "small program". This afternoon I batched processsed a client's original catalog jpg images using Breezebrowser Pro's 'proof' dialog -- a drastic reduction in size, with the image processing required for the smaller size (sharpening and gamma corrections, including color space conversion. It will also do so with raw files. It may not be a small program, though.

Smallness can be had with scripting ImageMagick to do the job or from the command line.

Good Luck,

Don E

<p><a href="http://www.exhibitx.ca/tools/imagescale.txt">This</a> is (most of) the script that I use for my 35mm. I scan to ~2864x4280 16bit tiff with Vuescan and apply any necessary adjustments in Photoshop Elements, then I transfer the files to the Linux box where my archives live. When I want to make a bunch of prints or online posting, I create a directory for them, with a sub-directory "tiffs" and put the images there. I create a file "filelist" that has the number part of the filenames (ie crop0987.tif would yield 0987).

</p><p>

The script re-sizes each image to 4"x6", 6"x8", and 8"x12" (all at 300dpi), and 1200x1600, 1024x1280, and 768x1024, and saves them as JPEG. If the image does not fit on the size requested, the insufficient dimension is padded with a white border.

</p><p>

It should run on any UNIX-like system (Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X, etc) or Windows with both PERL and ImageMagick installed, but may need slight changes (location of PERL executable on *NIX, more on Windows). It should also be easy to change to start with JPEGs rather than tiffs.

</p>

You can also use Photoshop Elements 3...but it's a bit tricky figuring out how. I forget how I did it now, but I'll figure it out again this weekend and post again on Monday (unless someone remembers off the top of their head). It wasn't an instantaneous process, but it wasn't all that slow either. --Dave

Thanks for everyone's help. Some good ideas. I also did some more searches and found a little program called "Advanced JPEG Compressor v4.8". I checked out the evaluation copy and it seemed to do what I wanted including some flexibility I haven't used yet. It did cost $25 but quickly and simply converted an entire directory of images to smaller JPEG files (for uploading to a photoservice). What previously took an hour now takes about 2 minutes.