Basement Studio

r._a._haentzler

<p>I am considering putting a basic studio in my finished basement for high school senior portraits. The area I want to use is good size, 15 ft x 25ft, but the problem / concern is the ceiling height. With a drop ceiling the height is only 7 ft 2 inches. I know that is not ideal but it is what it is. I can take some of the panals out and the track to acccomodate a hair light but again am I doomed to struggle with this set up. Am I over reacting since many times the seniors / clients will be posed in a seated or very casual positioin etc?Certainly I enjoy taking senior photos outside and will continue to do that but sometimes the parents really want a fomal / sudio setting, plus it would help generate a bit of income in the winter. I would appreciate any suggestions or information that would benefit me.</p>

<p>R.,</p>

<p>Like you said, "it is what it is." You will have problems with standing portraits. I know this seems awkward, but is there a location in your garage (or pole barn) that could be set up for standing portraits only. Shoot those there, then move inside. Its not very professional, but unless you want to do some serious building or renting, I don't see another way. I hope someone will suggest something better.</p>

<p>Mark</p>

<p>I think your assessment of the situation is very reasonable. Except for standing shots with taller subjects, you can make it work. Is a 7 something foot ceiling ideal? No. Can you get shots most parents and seniors will like in most instances? Yes. If you will be using large, soft sources, as most photographers do for this type of work, I would recommend a rectangular softbox as your primary light source. You can use the softbox in the horizontal orientation and get it up higher than round or octagonal sources of similar area. For headshots, floor poses, and many standing poses, your space should be perfectly adequate. </p>

<p>That's my view from having worked in similar, and even smaller spaces. Moody fashion-style shots lighted from high above are out, but most of the bread-and-butter stuff is within reach.</p>

<p>There are some light sources that are low-profile enough to help you out with a low ceiling. <br /><br />For example: consider an Alien Bees ring light, with the Moon Unit diffuser. On a properly rigged boom arm, that will let you get a fairly powerful large, diffuse light source very close to the ceiling. The very shallow design presents some unusual capabilities, even if you never use it as a shoot-through ring strobe.</p>

<p>Obviously your setup is not ideal but so what. We shoot with what we have. I convert my office into a studio from time to time. My latest setup involved my softbox half way into the bathroom door and a shoot through umbrella beside the fridge. My office has tall ceiling so I am not restricted that way but we all have challenges that we have to work with. Between Matt's suggestion and yours of removing some ceiling tiles it sounds like you are well on your way.</p>

<p>I recall reading (pre-digital) about a closet that had been converted into a dark room. It was only big enough for a stool, one side was the wet site, rotate on the stool and the other side was the dry side. Where there is a will there is a way.</p>

<p>my ceiling is just brushed by my 7x6ft lastolite hilite, but apart from the times when i wanted a high hair light, it hasnt stopped me, even with tall models. It means i have to be careful when shooting up at them close in, but for school portraits you dont need it to be that high. Limitations i think can make you more creative!</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Try purchasing some black 8' x 4' foamcore sheets and attach those to your ceiling. They will reduce the amount light reflected off your ceiling and help you better approach the effect of having high ceilings. I have high ceilings in my studio, and since we didn't want to pay the landlord extra to paint the walls black, we have used these panels and wall drapes instead. In short, you want your studio black for most shots, except when working high key.</p>