Barn Wars

Discussion in 'Classic Manual Cameras' started by cenelsonfoto, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Just litter this thread with yer lovely country backwoods shots. Have a blast... er, a barn... yard... barnyard. Something like that.
    00CRzq-23961484.jpg

2. BTW - I was told, "Only a freaking maniac would soup that stuff in Diafine! Don't do it!"

Whatever.

I did the normal 3 minutes soak. Dev time was 1m/45secs. Looks pretty smooth to me. Water stopped (three fills and dumps), fixed for 10 mins. Hung out.

3. I like the over-all silvery tonality of the first shot, which I think is partly attributable to the Diafine. I've been using that combination too, and it is often hard to decide whether to just keep the image as-is or play with the curves and contrast to get more blacks. I thought that first shot of the calf was really outstanding in terms of composition, tonality and detail rendering.

4. Because it's what I usually use, I tend to forget that my Nikon F is "of age" to be counted as a classic too. Here's a little part of a barn.
    00CS13-23963284.jpg

5. The Scandinavian field were full of small barns like this. They were used to store hay to be used during winter. Now most of them are disappeared or in a state of back to nature.
    00CS15-23963384.jpg

6. [​IMG]
    Abandoned Farmhouse (near Moose Jaw Saskatchewan) - Rolleiflex 2.8E, Xenotar 80/2.8, Velvia 50

7. Some of what's behind my own barn:
    00CS1M-23963484.jpg

8. OK, one more, this time an unequivocal classic: Leica IIIb with a Rodenstock Heligon 35/2.8 lens, on Tri-X.
    00CS1x-23963884.jpg

9. Let's see now, must have been around 1978, a cold winter.
    00CS2l-23964684.jpg

10. Mike Connealy wrote"I like the over-all silvery tonality of the first shot, which I think is partly attributable to the Diafine. I've been using that combination too, and it is often hard to decide whether to just keep the image as-is or play with the curves and contrast to get more blacks. I thought that first shot of the calf was really outstanding in terms of composition, tonality and detail rendering."
    I need to stock up on my 120 stores, think I might go with the AGFA given the results I got here. I like Diafine for the speed of development time, and am now curious about using it at even shorter solution-B times to improve grain and so on, if it will work. The AGFA is nice and silvery - I noticed that I need to do little to make the images look nice off the scanner. All of them were exposed at 1/125 f16 to f11, but seem to have been close enough for government work.
    Your kudos is much appreciated, Mike.
    Craig

11. Good stuff Per, Kovacs, Sandeha, Matthew... Especially like the snowy stuff, didn't get any worth counting last winter here on our end.

12. That Zenobia seems to be unbelievably good. Very crisp! I think you should send it to me for evaluation. LOL

13. I posted this in an earlier thread, but my lack of computer skills being what they are it got sort of lost.
    00CSDO-23971284.jpg

14. Sweet shot, Bruce... a lot of cloud cover out there today, planning on making a run to shoot some in a little while.

15. posted earlier, 1850's English-style stone barn in Illinois

16. Ah yes.

17. Mossy barn in Washington.

18. Hmm once more
    00CSWE-23979184.JPG

19. Damn, I miss the Evergreen State.

20. I'll second that, Craig -- and I've been away less than a year. Meantime...
    00CSlL-23988584.jpg

21. More.
    00CSlM-23988684.jpg

22. And, from a little further away...
    00CSlQ-23988784.jpg

23. Brother Qualls, is thatchair in Nawth Cayroliner?

24. It is, Craig. All within about a half mile of my wife's office.

And no, if I live here another thirty years, I'll never sound like the natives...