Bare trees

gene m

I have to confess I'd be hard pressed to explain the connection of either photo to "Street/Documentary", but I think that is much more a comment on the ill-defined nature of this forum than to any deficiency in these fine images. I'm still willing to play along to see what develops here, but it does seem kind of rudderless at the moment.

Well, there's a dirt road in my photo. It's not a street though I guess. I'm simply looking for a place to post my toy/pinholes where I can get some feedback. There's no such forum here so I suppose I'm twisting the guidelines a bit. If others post shots of bare trees wouldn't that qualify as a documentary of sorts ?

Jeff,

With regard to what is or is no OK on this forum:

First serious question: When we use the term "street photography" does that mean the photo MUST have people in it or can it be something we might see while traveling the streets? I did take the windmill photo while walking around the streets near the beach in San Francisco. I'm sure you know the spot. I don't feel confortable photographing people at random, but do love to discover little photo tid-bits while moving about the city streets. I'm going up there today to do just that.

Second serious question: I can understand the need to relate documentary/photojournalistic photography to the current political scene (that's important), but is it acceptable or unacceptable to vehemently promote one's own political agenda within the context of that query?

Todd, street photography is well-defined. I'd recommend picking up a copy of Bystander. The windmill really doesn't qualify, although a storefront would probably be just fine.

A lot of architectural photography is done from the street, and we don't call that street photography. And trees in fields really don't come close to even the most stretched definition.

Jeff,

I'll check out the Bystander. I don't post here much because I'm not into random photography of street people, but I am into the documentation of events and places.

I can understand that this is not a forum for flowers and rocks and butterflies, but, if I want to "document" historic landmarks of San Francisco, then that would fall under "documentary photography." It may not be a "street" subject, but is certainly "documentary." The name "street and documentary" is vague. I'll recheck the guidelines for the forum.

However, I think the roots of the creation of this forum is based in photographing people on the street, plain and simple, and I think, if that is the case, it should be so stated strongly so there is no confusion.

There is also still the issue of discussing the documentation of political/world events vs. proclaiming a political agenda on this or any forum, unless the forum is designed to discuss world events.

Todd,

I know you guys are unhappy with comments that were made the other Street/Doc. forum thread. My intention is not to intentionally offend you and are not directed at Americans.

However, in regards to reportage and often documentary work issues cannot be polarized so easily and neatly defined into seperate little unrelated categories. To do so is simplistic and denies people the chance to really go over an issue. The issue of what gets reported and what kinds of images are used is a complex issue and an issue of photography and politics definitely intermix.