Bar Mitzvah - Equipment Decision

Ken Katz

At my brother-in law’s holiday party last December, and after 2 glasses of Macallan, I foolishly agreed to shoot

my nephew’s bar mitzvah. 4 years ago, I shot another nephew’s bar mitzvah using my Canon 5D (classic), 550EX

flash and a rented 24-70L. Using Adorama to print a photo book, the results were very good, though given the

amount of work and the stress I decided not to do it again. That is until the 2 glasses of Scotch convinced me

otherwise.

It’s less than 2 months away, so like it or not I am stuck doing this. I am a reasonably experienced at shooting

indoor events and have been using flash mixed with ambient light for over 40 years. I primarily use an Olympus

E-M5 now, so I need to choose which equipment to use for this event.

• Option 1: Olympus E-M5, Oly 12-40 F2.8, 12mmF2, 17mmF1.8, 45mmF1.8, plus rent an Olympus FL-600R flash and

perhaps an Oly 75mm F1.8 or a Panny 35-100F2.8.

• Option2: Rent a Canon 6D and 24-70 F2.8II, and also bring the 550EX flash, 17-40L, 50f1.8 and 70-200F4LIS.

I would anticipate that the 6D has a 2 stop high ISO advantage over the E-M5 and could easily shoot at 6400+ ISO

while I would be unlikely to push the E-M5 beyond 3200 ISO. Some of that advantage is negated due to wider DOF

offered by the smaller format. 4 year ago I shot between F5.6 and F8 in order to get groups of people all in

focus while with the E-M5, F4 would provide similar DOF. This is not a wedding (no romantic photos of B+G), so I

don’t think better subject/background separation of FF will be important. I also expect the Olympus FL-600R to

have about 1 stop less power than my trusty old 550EX, which is an advantage to the Canon option. The E-M5 IBIS

will help ambient exposure, but with images of people, I can’t push my shutter speed too low. My Oly primes can

provide an additional 1+ fstop over the F2.8 standard zooms I intend to use as my main lens.

With the Canon option, I will have just a few days to familiarize myself with a new camera body, while with the

Olympus option, I will also have just a few days to familiarize myself with a new flash unit and the nuances of

the Olympus flash system. I already know the nuances and foibles associated with the Canon flash system and have

Stofen and Gary Fong bounce accessories for the 550EX. While I am comfortable using a EVF, I will need to set

Live View Boost on the E-M5 since for most of the evening, I will be using flash as the main source of light

while underexposing ambient light. I will also need to chimp much more often since you can only determine proper

flash exposure after the image is taken. I rarely do that with the E-M5 since you can preview ambient exposure

in the EVF.

I am leaning towards the Canon option based on familiarity with the Canon flash system and simplicity of a

conventional SLR viewfinder vs an EVF. For either option, the 5D would be the backup. I welcome any thoughts,

comments, or suggestions (besides the suggestion that I should drink less Scotch at family gatherings).

<p>Kenneth, I think you have analyzed your situation quite clearly. I shot full-frame for a good while but when the Olympus E-M1 came out, I sold my (Sony) full-frame bodies and all my beautiful lenses and now shoot micro four-thirds exclusively. So I understand your dilemma perhaps a little better than some of our colleagues here who don't realize how good the E-M1 and E-M5 can be.</p>

<p>I won't presume to advise you. I'll just tell you how I'd think about this problem if I faced it myself (which in fact I might in the near future).</p>

<p>•</p>

<p>If it were me, I'd stick with my E-M1, for a couple of reasons.</p>

<p>Of course, the only way to be completely confident of doing a good job is to be completely comfortable with every aspect of your it: camera, lenses, flash, etc. As a rule, I've never used ANY equipment until I felt really comfortable with it. (Lenses are a bit of an exception. I do occasionally rent, although even lenses have their quirks.) Since I'm very familiar with the FL-600R and how it works with my E-M1 — and with the E-M1's wireless system, which allows me to use multiple FL-600R's — it might be an easier decision for me than it is for you. And if you decide your comfortable with the Canon system, well, then that would be the smarter and safer choice.</p>

<p>But I also like the immediate feedback I get from the EVF regarding exposure. This means a lot to me because I shoot full- manual almost exclusively. I have only shot with the E-M5 a couple of times. Image quality is superb but I can't remember what the EVF is like. The EVF in the E-M1 is so good that I long ago forgot that it's an EVF — and I'd hate to live without that feedback while I'm shooting. I seldom chimp now: I know before I press the shutter that I'm going to get the exposure right.</p>

<p>I switched to micro four-thirds partly because I wanted smaller everything. Easier to carry, easier to handle. I like that advantage. (With a flash mounted and a grip attached to the E-M1 so I have plenty of battery power, the E-M1 is not exactly SMALL, but MUCH smaller than my Sony A99 + flash + grip.) And for the shooting that I do, the loss of a stop or two in high- ISO performance is not a big problem. The E-M1's IBIS is fantastic.</p>

<p>The FL-600R is, in my opinion, more than adequate for shooting an event like a bar mitzvah or a small wedding. (Note that a lot of our professional colleagues here are using much more powerful lighting for things like group shots.)</p>

<p>I will close by saying that, while lens choice is important for any and every system, it's especially important for us micro four-thirds shooters. I don't have any of the new f2.8 professional zooms that Olympus has released since the E-M1 came out and I hear they are very good. But I've always liked shooting with primes, and my kit now has only one zoom that I wouldn't use at a wedding or bar mitzvah (a 40-150 that I use for shooting outdoors on vacation). Otherwise I'm using only fast primes — nothing slower than f2.0. Works for me.</p>

<p>Good luck with the event whichever way you decide.</p>

<p>Will</p>

<p>My wife and I shoot 30-40 bar and bat mitzvahs a year; it's our niche. I can't speak to which camera you should go with other than to say that the most important qualities to us are the ability to focus quickly in extremely dim light. Whichever setup gets you that is your winner.</p>

<p>For photographic purposes, a bar mitvah is a wedding. You have a ceremony (where you might or might not be allowed to shoot depending on the congregation but where you coudl re-enact after the fact or pre-enact ahead of time) followed by a big party. Lots of party pictures, lot of formal family pictures. <br /><br />Of the options you offer, I would go with the Canon gear. Do you still have your 5D? You need two bodies (one for backup). On the 70-200, if you already have teh f/4 it will do but if you're buying/renting I would strongly recommend the 2.8 -- even if you don't shoot wide open it's faster AF in low light. <br /><br />High ISO is not a concern unelss you're allowed to shoot the ceremony. You would need it there. But the rest is all flash work.</p>

<p>Now is not the time to try something new. Use what you are comfortable with and familiar with. You don't need 5 lenses to shoot a job, keep it simple. You rented a 24-70 last time, I think that is a smart move. You can also rent a 70-200 and you are all set. Make sure you have a second camera and a second flash. Don't over think this just get the shots. Review what you did last time and make some adjustments if necessary. Lastly don't forget your flask. LOL</p>

<p>Your question is exceptionally well thought out well articulated: I think the salient points for your choice are here:<br /> <br /> <em>"I am leaning towards the Canon option based on <strong>familiarity with the Canon flash system</strong> and <strong>simplicity of a conventional SLR viewfinder</strong> vs an EVF. <strong>For either option, the 5D would be the backup.</strong>"</em></p>

<p>Additionally, I think that <strong>(re)</strong>learning a (Canon) 6D would be easier and quicker than learning nuances of a <strong>new</strong> (Olympus) Flash System. Also, the AF on a 6D is pretty slick.</p>

<p>If I were in your position, I would choose the Canon option, without any hesitation.</p>

<p>***</p>

<p>My opinion specifically, on "Option 2" as you have presented it:</p>

<p>I think that you <strong>need</strong> a second Flash Unit in your kit; I don't think that you necessarily need the 70 to 200/4, but as it seems you own it, then why not bring it along anyway.<br /> <br /> WW</p>

<p>I agree with Peter Cohen. Most Bar/Bat Mitzvah parties I've shot end up in really dim ambient light, (similar to the dance portions of a wedding). Fast and accurate AF is extremely important.</p>

<p>In my experience, IF you are allowed to shoot the ceremony itself, it will be from the back of the Synagogue … so a tripod will help … as will a longer lens (last one I did ended up needing a 500mm to get any intimate shots [see attached example]. The other photographer was using a Canon 300/2/8 which was barely enough).</p>

<p>The other notable aspect of Bar/Bat Mitzvahs is the extra attention needed for family group shots … often more than at a big wedding. I NEVER do these with just on-camera flash … IMO, off-camera lighting is almost mandatory.</p><div>00dGY8-556541784.jpg.75053ea9bba0ab91f97adbc2c145335e.jpg</div>

<p>Kenneth can you please elaborate on your professional experience shooting weddings and Mitzvah's. There seems to be some confusion based on some advice given. Reading between the lines of what you have stated it sounds to me that you have offered to do this because your brother in law can not afford to hire a professional. </p>

Thank you all for your responses. I am not a professional photographer, and I did my nephew's Bar Mitzvah 4 years ago as a favor since it was suppose to be a smaller event, with the money saved to fund a family trip to Hawaii. Of course it ended up not being all that much smaller than a typical Bar Mitzvah. I guess my success 4 years ago is partially to blame for this current assignment. It will be a reform service held at a multilevel restaurant (not a Synagogue), and like 4 years ago, I expect to use flash during the services. As also a participant, I will be sitting up front and will not need any long lenses. From the photos of the location, all the action during the ceremony (4 PM in June) will occur in front of large floor to ceiling windows, so I will likely overexpose the ambient outdoor light by about 1+ stop and use flash (bounced off the ceiling) to properly expose the indoor scene. I never shoot direct flash when it is the main source of light.

I expect to use the 24-70 (or 12-40) as my main lens, with other lenses used only if needed. I am considering renting a 2nd flash as a backup since neither my 220EX or ancient Vivitar 283 will be sufficient if the 550EX craps out. I have shot Bar Mitzvah party dance images in the past, but usually go in wide and close at around f8 with bounce flash, so quick focus was not a significant concern. My 5D did fine last time and it is certainly does not have great AF performance.

Marc, I appreciate the suggestion of off camera flash, but it is not a technique I am well versed in. I will be happy just to find a good location for family group shots (with some good ambient natural light) and balance with bounced on camera flash + Stofen or Lightsphere.

Still leaning towards the Canon solution, but when I consider that the DSLR rig will weigh about twice a similarly configured M43, I may reconsider. Then again, I am already in physical therapy for my chronic deteriorating back, so perhaps I will just load up on anti inflammatory drugs and schlep the DSLR. I will have one of my nephews or sons carry/watch my camera bag and I will stay away from the bar until all the important images are done.

<p>Ok, that is what I thought Kenneth. I read what Marc suggested and as great as that all sounded it did not seem appropriate for you. I have been doing this for 18years and I don't even use a 500mm lens LOL. Marc is an amazing photographer and a great person to get advice from. <br>

For what you are doing Kenneth I think you will be just fine. You will need the canons speed light to help you focus dim lit shots. Canon is great as far as I am concerned. Just have a backup. Not sure what you mean by rig? you don't need a bracket and the extra weight. Shoot everything horizontal, full raw and then you can always crop vertical if you need to. Keep it simple.</p>

What I mean by "rig" is camera + midrange zoom + flash + Lightsphere. Don't need a bracket, but a DSLR "rig" is certainly much, much heavier than what I currently use now. As long as I am no more than 10-15 feet away, the AF assist on the speedlight works quite well and a Canon 6D can focus in -3EV light. While I occasionally crop horizontal to vertical, never thought about shooting everything horizontal and cropping latter. Certainly means less maneuvering with with flash. Can't remember the last time I shot a JPEG, so I plan on processing RAW files in Lightroom and using Adorama to produce proofs and a photobook. Being a relative, I know who are the people that are important to the family and can center the images around them.

<p>If you came from the Hasselblad days you would understand shooting everything horizontal. Be thankful you don't have the extra weight of the double battery grip. Thats like carrying a brick around all day. 95% of all my candids are within 10 feet and taken with a 24-70 zoom</p>

<p>I would plan on using your StoFen or Lightsphere rather than bouncing off the ceiling. Hotshoe flash bounced off a ceiling often leaves you without much light if the ceiling is the least bit high, to say nothing of color issues. <br /><br />I have shot many weddings and other events with a Vivitar 283. Get a Wein SafeSync to eliminate any sync voltage issues but it is a fine flash and can serve well as backup.<br /><br />I would be worried about windows behind the subject. Could create a wide variety of challenges, including exposures, distracting background, etc. If you could convince them to flip the room setup the other way around could make a big difference but probably beyond your control.</p>

• 1 month later...
As a postscript, last week my Sister-in-law had mercy on me and my ailing back and was able to hire a photographer to do the Bar Mitzvah. I will still bring the E-M5 to take some photos and send them the proofs (and the files if they wish to incorporate any images in their photo book). Thank you again for all your responses.