Banding with Nikon D300 - False Alarm

hugh_sakols

<p>I have just discovered that my Nikon D300 has developed a problem vertical bands. Apparently, this used to be a problem at long exposure times, yet it was fixed after a change in firmware. My problem is happening at fast shutter speeds even after upgrading to the latest firmware. Here is a crop of an image with vertical banding. Unfortunately, it is not as apparent on this jpeg. Look closely at the limb that extends to the left. Why would only my camera have this problem?</p>

<p>Hugh Sakols </p><div>00T7v7-126881584.jpg.5bd4ad0573665ffeaea9f61e04825dc5.jpg</div>

OK, at 300% I see what you could mean. Does not look like banding to me though, more like moiré. It's simply fine texture, well captured by a sharp lens, that happens to interfere with the pixel raster. At least that's what I see in your sample.

<p>

You say the image is a crop. Does that mean it's already 100%? If so, you don't have a problem at all. At least certainly not in this picture.

<p>

<p>This is really strange. Looking at my post I can't see anything either. However, when I look at my NEF files, I can see serious banding without zooming in. I also see it when I preview in the camera. I went ahead and made another closer crop, but it isn't apparent in the compressed JPEG. Thanks for looking - I'm just trying to trouble shoot what is going on before I decide to send the camera in to Nikon. </p>

</p>

<p>Yes, I'm getting the same artifacts that Shun posted, yet my lines are vertical and are apparent throughout the image. Is there a fix to get rid of this or do I send the camera in? Thanks again for all your help. It looks like a nice spring storm coming through Yosemite this weekend and I want to be ready.</p>

<p>Hugh, as an alternative to providing an actual NEF, can you make a screen capture with the problem displayed? You can attach a screen capture here in JPEG or PNG format. (PNG will appear only as a link, but has the advantage of being smaller than a TIFF while not introducing excessive JPEG compression artifacts.)</p>

<p>This may help determine whether it's a problem with the actual image itself, or with your display, computer or software settings.</p>