Banding on Canon 9950 .. anyone else : any cure ?

My 9950 has had a banding problem for a while: I was hoping it would go a way, but now I've got a lot of

6x6 negs to scan.

It's so bad it's even obvious on this 510x510 pixel reduction.

Any ideas ... I'm about to give up on it and set up a temporary darkroom to optically print the negs.<div>00KBaj-35285384.jpg.49e70788ad0490b9b8a2d43e63febf3d.jpg</div>

It looks like a cyan and/or photo-cyan print head clog (cyan is the opposite color to red, and the streaks appear to be pinkish). In my experience with two large-format printers, an Epson 1270 and a Canon i9900 (/9950), the cyan and photo-cyan heads are the first to go, and I've found them very, very difficult to clear either by conventional head cleaning or with 'heroic' measures (e.g. injecting IPA & glass cleaner into the affected heads).

I junked the 1270. The i9900 is showing early signs of the problem with very thin banding that can be masked by printing at highest resolution.

You might find it cheaper to find a replacement print head, rather than burn through tons of consumables trying to clear up the problem...

Since I don't have the canon, some generic suggestions:

Is there a calibration area to the top of the holder, like on the Epsons. If so, make sure this area is clean.

Others have suggested in the past to do a scan with the scanner on its side to clear banding issues.

Try Vuescan and see if it is a software issue.

Try scanning some 35mm frames in different positions, and see if all positions have the same problem.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Is that picture in some sort of frame? If so, is there something over the picture, such as a glass or plastic covering? If this is a frame, is it thick to the point that it would keep the cover from closing completely? Try covering the scanner with a dark cloth or towell or something. This is to reduce any light that may be sneeking in from the sides of the scanner lid.

Good Luck.

PCLIVE