Banal report on OMG

Discussion in 'Classic Manual Cameras' started by lauren_macintosh, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Well here we go I picked up what seams to a decent Olympus OMG or OM-10 depends where you are located for the name of this camera, Also obtained a beautiful unused Olympus Zuiko F-4 75-150mm , and I had read that it was not worth the time , some have said those zooms of that period were not up to the same as the primes.
    Since I am not a glass or lens whiz , I happen to like the outcome most where shot at F-4, the meter seems on the money the negatives appear to have good density to them, the camera handles well for it size
    I am beginning to understand why some of these cameras have such a following either you like them or not.
    attached are photo's of camera and photos taken with it on Fuji superia negative film ISO 400
    00YxzT-374437584.jpg

2. photo three
    00YxzX-374443584.jpg

3. Nicely done, it is hard to walk by the Hancock tower without taking a photo (same goes for most of Copley square). The Om-G was my very first camera, I had it for all of six months before it was stolen out of a friend's car, but I still remember it fondly.
    Matt

4. Great shots, Lauren. The OMG is actually a later model than the OM-10. The OM-10 did not have a shutter speed dial unless one bought the optional manual adapter. The adapter later came built in and sold as the OM-10 FC. The OMG has its manual speeds in the traditional OM location: on the lens mount. I have an OMG and find it easy to use and so lightweight that it's never a bother to carry. I also have the 75-150 f4 and find it to be a very good zoom. For peanuts you can pick up a 50mm f1.8 for low light. It's very compact and balances well on the OM bodies. Although the OMG (and earlier OM-10) don't have the build quality of the OM-1,2, etc, it is still a very capable instrument. On feature it does share with its more heavier siblings is that when the self timer is activated the mirror rises rather than right before the shutter is released. With a long tele this lets vibrations fade before shutter is released.

5. Hi Lauren,
    What You got is a.k.a. OM-20 or OhMyGod. You have nice and clean outfit. I really enjoyed my OMG with standard 50mm f1.8 lens. Good quality, good light meter and great results.
    Thanks for posting!

6. Now that you are hooked, do yourself a favour and find an OM2n.

7. Nice pictures. Especially like the 75mm frame; the colour seems a bit bluish. Thanks for the post. sp.

8. Subbarayan Prasanna [​IMG], Jun 29, 2011; 07:00 p.m.
    Nice pictures. Especially like the 75mm frame; the colour seems a bit bluish. Thanks for the post. sp.
    Its color film and I am not that well into color correcting the color in the film after I scan it and then into Lightroom 3.5

9. Nice post, Lauren. As the OM20 is the only Olympus SLR I own, I appreciate your saying something in favour of the camera, instead of the usual disparagement one hears from the owners of OMs with smaller numbers... ;-) Though I use it only rarely, I find it a great little lightweight SLR, and the Zukio glass is beyond reproach. That being said, one of these days I'll make the leap to the OM1n or somesuch. Good images; as SP said, "75mm" is an attractive pic, but you do still seem to be having a problem with that blue cast....Thanks for posting!

10. Good series, Lauren. That 75-150mm Zuiko is a very nice lens. They were made in large numbers so they are pretty easy to find. Pick up a wide Zuiko 24mm (spendy) or 28mm and the normal 50mm and you will have a nifty, lightweight kit that will be easy on the shoulder and have great quality.There are gobs of 3rd party Oly mount lenses around that are very good too. Good luck with your new rig.

11. Glad to see these.
    Thanks.

12. I cant tell you how many times I have almost decided to get into the whole OM system thing. I am very happy with my minoltas and the Rokkor glass available for them, but there is just something about these little Olympus cameras that make me want to pick them up and use them. Maybe its their compactness, maybe the jewel like quality when I handle them, I dont know. But seeing your photos has stirred that desire to go out and get an OM.
    Thats all I need right now is another lens system. Thanks Lauren, thanks a lot. :)
    Wonderful photos btw. I like #1 quite a bit.

13. "Olympus Zuiko F-4 75-150mm , and I had read that it was not worth the time , some have said those zooms of that period were not up to the same as the primes."​
    The reputation of the 75-150/4 Zuiko may suffer from a bit of bias due to a problem with separation of cemented elements in some of the older lenses. If users don't know what to look for they may mistake the resulting softness for a problem inherent to the lens even when in good condition.
    My sample of that zoom was very good and sharp enough that I'd need a loupe to check the negatives to spot any difference between photos taken with it and the 50mm Zuiko or 50/.35 macro primes. It was a single coated lens but didn't seem to suffer from flare related contrast problems. If I'm recalling correctly methodical lens testing rated it a pretty solid B overall.
    It was a very handy size for traveling. In some respects I preferred the Olympus OM and 49mm filter thread Zuikos to my current Nikon system. My FM2N and comparable 52mm filter thread Nikkors won't fit neatly into the same small bag I used to tote my entire OM kit in.

14. The 75-150 has a built-in lens hood. I learned back in 1975 to always use that lens hood when outdoors. It just became second nature to pull it out.
    It is a great, underappreciated, lens.
    (edit)
    I just realized I haven't used a 75-150 since the early 1990's. In the spirit of fairness, I hereby resolve to shoot my next roll using that lens only.