Ballhead Locking Knob Placement

vernon98034

<p>I acquired a new ball head last month. While I am happy about its quality, I have a problem of placing a camera vertically on the ballhead. To place my camera vertically, I rotate my camera to the left from the horizontal position. I have a better control of my camera in this way than rotting my camera to the right. The locking knob is on the other side of the drop slot (this ballhead has only one drop slot). So, my right hand which is holding the camera is on the left side of my tripod while my left hand needs to be on the right side of my tripod to lock or unlock the ball. It is quite awkward for me. Is the ballhead only for placing a camera on the right side of tripod? </p>

<p>Using a L-bracket is one way to solve the problem. I didn't think of it. I, however, don't want to go down the path though for two reasons. It adds an extra cost and a L-bracket is designed for special cameras. Neither the brands of camera and the ballhead shall be matter in this discussion. Both my Canon G series and my Canon DSLR have the same problem on the ballhead. </p>

<blockquote>Neither the brands of camera and the ballhead shall be matter in this discussion.</blockquote>

<p>Well, okay, but please bear in mind that <a href="http://www.dpreview.com/articles/8192473209/battle-of-the-titans-top-ball-heads-tested">not all ball heads</a> make the same decision about placement. Some also have multiple slots, allowing different choices. This partly comes down to which hand you want to use to adjust the knob, and whether you want to support tilting up or tilting down as a priority (something that an L plate <i>doesn't</i> fix. Also bear in mind that there are such things as <a href="http://www.arca-swiss-magasin.com/contents/fr/d37_acheter-plaque-rotule-arca-swiss.html">universal L plates</a> (the Arca one actually lets you put pins in it to hold it steady on some cameras), so you could use it on both the G and DSLR, although it's still not cheap. There are some cheaper options from other manufacturers, especially for smaller cameras.<br />

<br />

It's normal to tilt the camera to the left, assuming you're "right-eyed" and operating the grip from above is easier. It also makes it less likely that the camera will impact the tripod. So you're doing it right, as it were. Are you saying that your head has a locking knob opposite the drop slot? That's unusual, in my experience. It <i>is</i> fairly common to have the knob ending up pointing forwards (in the direction of the lens) when you put the camera in portrait mode, meaning you have to reach under the camera (and, yes, a bit to the right of where the camera is) to get to the control; your arms are, technically, crossed, although I would hope not by <i>much</i> unless you're using a body with a portrait grip. This configuration at least means you're not in your own way - if the lock knob faces towards you, you have to reach across your chest to get at it while your eye is at the finder. Having the knob opposite the drop slot, so you can't reach around the front of the tripod and so getting at the knob with your left arm against your chest, would be harder to use. If your head really is designed like this, I can see why you have problems.<br />

<br />

Because using the drop slot moves the camera to the left of the tripod - and if you want the grip above the camera, this is the "normal" way unless you like bending your right wrist at a funny angle - the camera will always end up to the left of the tripod head, where the lock mechanism sits. You'll always end up with your hands crossed over. Other than tilting the other way and putting up with having the grip at the bottom, the best solution really is an L plate - it helps stability, too. Of course, if you're using a long lens, you don't need an L plate anyway - you can just rotate the camera in the lens collar. If it really bothers you, you might find a remote release cable less awkward than reaching above or below the camera, but they generally don't replicate controls other than the shutter and half-press. Vanguard make a pistol grip head with a shutter release integrated into the grip, although it's possible their design would actually make matters worse for your immediate problem.<br />

<br />

Good luck, anyway.</p>

<p>You may have to learn to use your left hand in a more active way. It does not sound like such a big deal. Also, note that one company Kirk makes an L plate that fits a variety of cameras. What ball head did you buy? Maybe it is fussy in its locking knob to cause trouble for you, and requires a lot of tightening or droops on you. (mine has a lever which I happen to favor)... <strong>Or</strong> maybe I just don't see the depth of the problem you face. No camera when flopped on a tripod gives super control is what I am saying. Thus the use of L plates has come into fashion, despite the extra cost. Good luck.</p>

<p>Thanks all for your inputs. I find it is better to place a camera on top of the ballhead instead of in a drop slot when a lenses is heavy. A L-bracket will help if the lenses doesn't come with a detachable tripod mount. In a portrait mode, a camera with a relative heavy lenses such as Sigma 85mm 1.4F can't be hold statically after I tight the locking knob by hand. After some practice today, I think I can live with the ballhead. I just have more practice of using the drop slot in both side. </p>