Ball Head Recommendations

michelle a.

Hi All! I'm currently using a Bogen Manfrotto 3021 with a 3030 Pan/Tilt head &

quick release.

I'd like to purchase a ball head that is compatible with this body. Call me

ignorant or stupid, but will any ball head work?

I don't want to spend a fortune on a new head, but my pan/tilt is a major pain

in the rear end to manuver around quickly, and having used ballheads at school

found them to be easier to manipulate into position.

Can anyone make a recommendation? My current camera systems include a D200 with

an MB200 grip and an N90S with vertical grip.... they can get a bit heavy with

certain lenses attached, if that makes a difference....

I have a Bogen 3021 myself. Nice 'pod. I use an Arca-Swiss B1 on it. I sometimes use a Bogen 3036 with an Arca-Swiss B1G, too. The Arca-Swiss B1 gets moved back and forth between the 3021 and the lighter CF tripod as the need arises. It was not available when I bough my ballheads, but I saw a guy at the zoo last Summer with the Really Right Stuff BH55Pro ballhead, so I asked to see it. It is very nice as well.

My first tripod head was a Bogen 3028, if I remember correctly. I sold it when I went to ballheads exclusively. I suppose I might use a gimbal head if I were to rent a 600/4.

And, yes, almost any ballhead will mount on a Bogen 3021.

In any case, the Arca Swiss (B1, B1G) and Really Right Stuff BH-55Pro are the only ballheads I've seen that I like (I do know that RRS makes some "smaller" ones), and they are a bit expensive, not quite a fortune, but expensive nonetheless.

A fantastic ball head that won't break the bank is the Bogen 322RC2. It has a squeeze grip that you use to position your camera wherever you want. Release the grip and the camera stays put. There is a tension adjustment to suit your desires. Of course the mount is a quick release plate.

The squeeze clame come mounted such that it sticks off to the side to keep your camera as low to the ballhead as possible. You can, however, relocate the handle to a vertical position. It is a very versatile head.

I use mine with my medium format cameras and also with my various 35mm kit and it never creeps. I highly recommend this head.

Michelle,

First I think you need to give us an idea of what your budget really is.

I think most people here, the true gearheads anyway, are going to recommend something with an Arca Swiss Quick Release system. I too like the system and got one that was the lightest (I hike a lot), least expensive (at the time), yet holds up to 90 lbs, and my choice was Markins. I have been very happy with this choice.

If you like the Bogan square plates but want something a lot more solid (and you have a lot of pocket change) you might look into the Bogen / Manfrotto 468MGRC2 Magnesium Hydrostatic Ballhead which I think holds up to something in the mid 20 lbs.

I too own the 2020. I still like it, especially for videocameras. But you are right; there are some positions you just can't get to with this head.

I recently added a Markins M20 head to my Bogen 3021Pro. I've owned several ballheads, but this is the first one that I have liked. It is very well-made and works very nicely.

When buying a ballhead, an important feature is the quick release (QR). Arguably, the best the Arca-Swiss-style, and many manufacturers support this standard.

Since you are using the D200 with grip, you should be able to test ballheads fairly well -- this won't be the easiest load. Attach the biggest lenses you plan to use, both collared and un-collared, and see how they handle.

Good ballheads are expensive. Cheap ballheads can be much more expensive: first they limit you, then you upgrade. Same goes for tripods.

Well duh! :) I should have given a price range.... I was really hoping to not spend more than $300. But what's been mentioned gives me a place to start.

I don't shoot with huge 500mm lenses so I don't think I'll need something that holds up to 90 lbs.... although knowing it's that strong is a good thing.

I just went and weighed my heaviest combination of camera, lens and flash, and it was less than 7 lbs. So that also helps.

Thanks so much for the recommendations everyone, I really do appreciate it!

Michelle

Ditto the 488.

Expanding on the above idea, add a RRS (ReallyRightStuff) lever clamp with, L-bracket and any complimentary lense plates if any of your lenses have a lense collar.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/tutorials/L_plates/index.html

http://reallyrightstuff.com/clamps/index.html

I used a 488RC0 for years until I decided that I wanted better and I'm sure the 488 will serve you well for many years until you too decide you want better.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a Bogen fan. I know a lot of people prefer Gitzo, but I like Bogen's flip locks over Gitzo's twist locks. The flip locks, to me, are more efficient.

Might I note, though, that I've also worked with some of those ultra cheap tripods like Sliks, Velbons and even Kodaks with reasonable results. Not to say that they're comperable to the Bogens and Gitzos (it's sort of like comparing an Elph to an EOS 1D Mk III), but if a cheap, light tripod is the goal, they might be worth considering, too. And even if it breaks, you can buy 10 of them for the price of one Gitzo with an Arca-Swiss head.