Bags, Belt Systems, etc. How do YOU work a wedding?

tom_collins3

<p>I'm interested to hear from the pros, (especially those who use off camera light setups) how do YOU work a wedding? What do you use to bring your gear from your home to the wedding (rolling cases, etc), what gear do you carry with you for each part (getting ready through send off), HOW do you carry it (straps, lens bags, etc), What do you do with the rest of your gear that you brought but you're not using at the moment (backup gear, extra lighting, etc). Thanks for taking the time to answer!</p>

<p>On me, I have a shoulder bag, my home made strap for my second camera and other things, like my light stick, a small pouch for my wallet, memory cards, phone and light meter, and a Lowepro light belt, which has a very slim pouch of 3 filters on it--it is just there for places to clip things onto.</p>

<p>In the shoulder bag are my other lenses, accessories, small umbrella, lightstick, a Morris wide slave, a Cybersync receiver, and other 'stuff'.</p>

<p>In my hard, resin rolling case are a Bogen Nano stand, one Sunpak 120J, stand extender, compact 42" umbrella, more 'stuff', another receiver, battery pack and cable. There are slots left empty in case I want to stash my second camera and flash away. Last but not least is the cable alarm--very important with what I just mentioned. I lock it to an immobile object. This case is usually with me more than the next case.</p>

<p>In a medium Hakuba tripod case is my other Nano stand, Sunpak 120J, receiver, compact umbrella, battery pack and cable, plus clamps, bungee cords, etc. This is so I can take an off camera light set up with me on my back (slung like an arrow quiver), for those times when the wedding takes place in the middle of a redwood forest or something, or for those quick stop offs on the way to the reception, or a fast session at the bride's house. I do not attempt to protect the contents of this case, since when I bring it, mostly, the stuff is out, in use.</p>

<p>I bring both to large reception halls, where I set up the two Sunpaks and possibly my third shoemount, which is in the Hakuba outer pocket. When I bring both, I can make the trip from the car to the hall in one pass. I sometimes add my sandbag and/or stepstool to the baggage.</p>

<p>Discussed previously is my church case. This is only for church weddings, just for the ceremony, where the formals are inside the church. I have my 60" umbrella, tripod, and sturdier, taller stand. When at the bride's house or reception, this case is in the car, as hidden as possible.</p>

<p>I sometimes mix things up, depending upon the specifics of the wedding.</p>

<p>I work in New York City, so I rarely drive. Therefore, I use a very large rolling case. I handhold pretty much exclusively (after years of theatrical photography my shoulders can hold steady down to 1/20) so tripods are rarely used. I recently bought a flash bracket, but the workmanship on it was shoddy, so I am exploring other alternatives for getting my flash away from the body - in an easily portable way.</p>

<p>I use a double harness that takes weight from my neck and puts it into my back and shoulders. I like the harness very much. I also use a belt pack for an extra flash battery set.</p>

<p>I use lenses which perform all of the duties I need, either on one body or another. The types of wedding shoots I do rarely require an assistant, so I get by without a reflector. Therefore, everything I bring to a wedding, I can pretty much have on my person. However, I have occasionally gotten an assistant at the last moment for difficult location shoots.</p>

<p>I use deep pockets and sometimes a waist belt for batteries and other accessories, but I rarely find myself having to dig into it.</p>

<p>Hi <br>

I use a <a href="http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/airport-international-v2-roller-camera-bag.aspx">Think Tank International</a> when I am traveling to venues and when I am shooting I would use a <a href="http://www.goboda.com/main.html">Boda Bag</a>. Both bags are very good but I am extremely impressed with the Think Tank bag and it's build quality.<br>

In my Think Tank bag I have<br>

Canon 1D mk3<br>

Canon 5D mk3<br>

85mm 1.2L<br>

50mm 1.2L<br>

24mm 1.4L<br>

70-200mm 2.8<br>

24-70mm 2.8<br>

16-35mm 2.8 <br>

580 Flash, power pack and pocket wizards<br>

Spare batteries and cards etc</p>

<p>It holds quite a lot of stuff and I manage to get it on most flights as hand baggage!!<br>

Cheers<br>

Christian</p>

<p>I also use a double sling strap from Black rapid. I carry a rolling bag from Naneu with w/two bodies, 5 lenses, 3 flashes, 2 flash battery packs, assorted modifiers and gels, a heavy Manfroto tripod, a Manfroto monopod, and a small light stand with unbrella. Everything attaches to the bag but the big tripod and my assistant recently commented that I don't use it very much. Usually only use the big pod for ring shots in low light, etc..</p>

<p>I wear the double sling all day but typically don't wear both camera's until the ceremony. I wear a battery pack and sometimes a fanny pack to hold my wallet, keys, caps, etc.</p>