Bag or backpack for hooded 70-200 f2.8 on camera?

Jochen_S

Hello, I'd like to carry my long zoom without having to reverse the lens hood. Any recommendations? I'm not sure if the bag needs space for much other stuff, I could toss that into something else, but I am pretty open for everything. Thanks in advance.

Most medium to large backpacks could be configured to hold a 70-200/2.8 with the hood in place, perhaps mounted to the camera. If your goal is ready accessibility, a backpack is probably not the answer, and storing it with the hood reversed would not make much of a difference.

Here is a "digital holster" from Think Tank that would meet your needs. (Digital Holster™ 50 V2.0). Other companies have made holster type bags too, most of which have no room for other lenses and minimal space for accessories.

Rather than a large, highly specialized bag, I prefer to carry a 70-200, mounted with hood in the ready position, on a cross-shoulder strap (e.g., Black Rapid, Sun Sniper or Really Right Stuff). Otherwise I keep it unmounted, in a backpack or vertically in a shoulder bag*, capped and hood reversed. An alternative would be a harness system with specialized lens and gear holders attached. Batman carries a lot of stuff on his belt, but you could do him one better.

* In the interest of portability, I purchased a CamSafe (by PacSafe) V8 bag which holds two large zooms, including a mounted 24-70/2.8, or 3-4 prime lenses. It opens from the top, and can be used without setting it down. I have a Sony mirrorless system, but am loathe to carry the entire kit in a 25 lb backpack unless it's to or from a job. Once out of the car, I'm good to carry just what I think I'll need, rather than something for every contingency. The CamSafe bag is probably half the size of the holster bag cited above.

Hello everyone. I have several Pentax K1000 "kits" which include 200mm SMC & 85-200mm Zoom lenses. All get carried in a Cannon backpack, which has movable separators to fit various needs. Len's hoods ?? Long ago I ditched the metal variety in favor of collapsing, silicone rubber hoods with double threads (filters). Mush them down, put the lens cap on & away you go! Bill Edited by Bill Bowes