Bag/backpack for two bodies and some large(ish) lenses

geoffs1

<p>My current backpack is now too small...</p>

<p>I have a two bodies (20D and 40D with grips currently, and similar in the future) along with a few lenses.<br>

The two problematic items are a 100-400mm and 70-200mm f/2.8. The rest (50mm, kit, 28-135mm, etc. aren't much of a problem).<br>

Ideally I would like a bag that allows me to store both bodies with any combination lenses mounted, along with all the rest of the stuff. That means having two body+lens areas that are each large enough for the two "big" lenses, as well as space to store both the big lenses separately (along with their hoods) when I'm using two smaller lenses.</p>

<p>Suggestions?</p>

<p>Geoff, I was in the same boat for awhile, needing to keep two large bodies simultaneously mounted to long lenses. Shooting in extremely windy/blizzard conditions prevented me from fiddling with lens changes for fear of contaminating rear elements and mirror boxes with snow. I opted for a LowePro Pro Trekker AW II which has a very large capacity and excellent padding/dividers between lenses/bodies. I noticed one in 'classifieds' offered by someone whose name is strikingly familiar to mine...huge wink-wink.</p>

<p>Regardless, I must also say the closure system of the various LowePro packs I've used is designed to create a 'hard-shell' to protect the contents. The lid fits like hand-in-glove to conform to the arched portion of the pack. Very safe and secure.</p>

<p>Lilly: Thanks for the info. I currently have a Lowe Pro backpack, and I'm impressed with the construction.<br>

I assume you had the two body+lens combos stored down the center of the bag (?). Did you have any problems with things shifting around in the empty space if one of them was a "big" lens and the other a smaller one? (or two smaller lenses).</p>

<p>I have a Thinktank "Airport Addicted" backpack with cradles for two bodies, which hold the camera at the lens mount. This bag could be configured to hold bodies plus big lenses side by side in a head-to-toe configuration. That bag has been changed, but I'm sure Thinktank could answer any questions you have.</p>

<p>Otherwise, I carry two pro bodies in a Lowepro Computrekker Plus, one with a lens and the other with a body cap. There's enough room for a mounted 400/2.8 (if I had one).</p>

<p>I didn't have any shifting whatsoever (couldn't afford to) as I affixed the velcro dividers to firmly hold the lens/body combinations securely in place. I was on skis and had to make darn sure there wasn't going to be any shifting/bumping of one piece of gear against another. An odd piece of spare clothing (hat, gloves, neck gaitor) also helped shore-up any voids. Aside from the two mounted bodies I could also include other lenses (17-35/2.8, 28-70/2.8, and/or primes).</p>

<p>I arranged the dividers so the two large body/lens combinations were centered but slightly off-set (think 'spooning') as the pack, or any pack for that matter, isn't long enough to butt them up end-to-end. I kept them away from the permiter of the pack quite well for fear of less than perfect ski technique ;) Gear: Nikon D300 + vertical grip (2x), 80-800/2.8 AFS, 300/2.8 plus other lenses...heavy!</p>

<p>Geoff,<br>

I like Tamrac Bags. Personally, I carry two Canon 1d MkIII bodies, a 300 f2.8, a 70-200 2.8 a 17-35 2.8 and a 24-70 and a 580 EX II flash all in one backpack. It's the Expedition 7x by Tamrac.<br>

There's lots of room in there, for even more small "essentials" like spare batteries, pads, pens, flash cards cleaning kit etc. Plus loops on the outside to carry a monopod.<br>

<br />They have a slightly larger one called the expedition 8x, and a slightly smaller one (5x)</p>

<p>The Think Tank "Airport" series of bags look very interesting.</p>

<p>I should clarify: the idea is that if I have the lenses I need already mounted and stowed in the bag, I can open it, quickly pull out the camera(s), and start shooting. Conversely, if it starts raining (or the like) I can simply stick any combination of body&lens(s) into the bag and take-off.</p>