Bad focus with d200 and manual lenses.

leicaglow

I use an old d200 as a kick around camera when I dont want to process film. The manual focusing is off by a mile all of the sudden. I

read some posts about how to correct for this situation when the AF confirmation is off, but is that also the case when the focus is

correct on the finder screen as well?

How could the AF confirmation be off, and the screen at the same time, or does the Af sensor somehow use the screen distance? All my

AF lenses are being shipped back from a shoot, so I cant check the focus with an af lens. Thanks for any thoughts.

I will not be able to really help you..

But will just add that my D200 is also not good with several MF lenses - I also encountered similar focusing problems.

105/2.8 micro, to name one. But the CCD sensor of the D200 wasn't great with most old lenses anyway. Too much

CA.So I gave up on old school MF with this camera.

The D300 does a much better job on all aspects. The D200 is used with AF 12-24 and 50/1.8.

<blockquote>

<p> The manual focusing is off by a mile all of the sudden</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If it comes into focus snappily, ie 'pops' as you rotate the barrel, and thus looks sharp in the VF and the result isn't, then the focusing screen has moved and no-longer represents the true lens to sensor distance.</p>

<p>How the D200's AF Rangefinder works is a mystery to me.</p>

I use two D200s with older lenses all the time with no problems to speak of, some CA here and there but nothing too bad.

Mike did your camera drop or anything, maybe focus screen or other is loose or mirror off the track some. I had a Nikon

the mirror used to go off the track a little and throw everything off, I used to have to click it back in the arms.

It is pretty much off with all my Ais type lenses. My main lenses are as old as a 45 gn, and it is the same with 24mm,

50mm, 85mm, 105mm, etc. I dont think the camera was ever knocked around. I was mainly trying to get insight knto how

the af sensor related to the screen, I guess. Maybe I will try to use the correction discussed in previous threads, using a

newspaper and 2mm hex wrench.

My 1953 Zeiss Ikon Contessa and some Pan F had to suffice for today. <g>

<p>I don't remember how it is with the D200, but on some Nikon DSLRs, there is a hexagonal 1.5mm screw at the right lower corner of the mirror box next to the bayonet (looking at the camera from the lens side). This screw is used to adjust the calibration of the focusing screen. However if this has changed suddenly, maybe there has been an impact that caused it and the camera should probably see a qualified serviceperson. At least have them check it.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>I was mainly trying to get insight into how the af sensor related to the screen, I guess.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>It doesn't. They are two separate and independent "systems" (the camera can autofocus a lens with the focusing screen removed). The only component they have in common is the reflex mirror. The autofocus module (and electronic rangefinder for focus confirmation) is in the bottom of the mirror box. A misaligned main mirror would cause a problem with both manual and autofocus I would think, since that would also alter the angle of the sub-mirror used to direct light to the autofocus module. If autofocus is okay and manual focus is off, then something is amiss with the focusing screen only.</p>