I have been getting a lot of hits and meetings, but they choose not to go with

me and that the reason why is because I have not backup photographer to take

my place. I just started in the business two years ago, how do you get back

up when there is only you. I do tell them in the case of an emergency they

get everything back they pay me. I also just recently got an assistant to

help me, but using her is out of the question for at lest two years. She no

nothing about photography, and is only 18 years old. I need help and ideas,

and help would be great.

I always ensure them that I will be there even if I have one foot in the grave. I did do one wedding were I had gallbladder stones, and had a hard time standing up. The Dr. wanted me to go to the emergency room but I waited until I was done with the wedding. The bride always says what if you're in a car accident or someone dies. I always say there are things that can happen beyond all our control and tell her that "What if " can happen to all of us, but ensure them that I will give back everything they paid me. How do I network with other photographers in my area? Any what if they are all booked?

Jamie - most people don't want to hear "sorry I couldn't show up, here is your money back". It can totally ruin their big day.

Show up sick, hurt, or dead, but show up. :) As someone said, try to find a small pool of folks you can call on (and offer to help them out too). If you have a number of people to call, your chances of finding a backup in case of a catastrophe go up. :)

No photographer in the world can "guarantee" a backup photographer should something

go horribly wrong. At least not unless you're charging double what you're worth just so

you can reserve another photographer's time "in case"!

Be positive when people ask about this!!! Assure the bride that this has NEVER happened

and (cross your fingers) hopefully never will. However, in the event of a truly unforseeable

emergency, you know several area photographers that you could contact who would gladly

fill in for you. At worst, you would refund all of their money.

Of course, you may not know "several" area photographers; you may only know one or two

who will probably be booked. THAT is why you have to commit to allow nothing short of

death to prevent you from showing up to work. That's just part of the job!

The question you might be asking yourself is this: What are the brides doing who are Not hiring you because you have no back-up photographer?

There must be other photographers in the area who are doing the weddings in your area and if so then the bride is asking them about a back-up photographer and what is your best guess on Who they are using.

There IS a pool of photographers the brides are using if they are turning you down for that reason only because those brides are hiring "someone" who has a backup phtographer.

Researching and asking questions might reveal some sources. Call the brides who turned you down and politely ask them to "help" you out by asking them who they decided to go with and what there response was to the backup question. This can be done while being genuinely gracious and expressing joy that they've got a good photographer with a back up and you wish them all the best on thier wedding day celebration. If you've meet the brides then you'll know which ones might be "open" to giving you this kind of helping hand.

Just a thought.

Like Anne's comment....a lot of it has to do with how, and how confidently you respond...They want to be sure you have a plan. It's not quite like being able to call in from the bull pen! Network with others in the region, keep a list, let them know it has never happened yet (assuming it hasn't...!), let them know your policy regarding payments made, etc....I have had plenty of brides ask about if I have a back-up or what would I do - but I've never had any cite that as an excuse to not book...