Backup On-site or Trust That One Copy is Enough Until You Get Home?

tom_collins3

<p>Hello! I have my first wedding (shot entirely on my own) coming up in August and my #1 concern is losing all of the images from the event (due to memory card failure, etc). What are your thoughts about using something like the Epson P-3000 or other device that would backup the files on site? I use Sandisk Extreme III and Lexar Professional CF cards. With the technology today, should this even be a real concern of mine? I am also aware of recovery software for failed cards. How reliable are those methods for retrieving images from a "failed" or "corrupted" card? Thanks for any advice!</p>

<p>I wouldn't worry too much about the stability of the cards. <br>

I get a little nervous when I have to dump some cards during a shoot (because I ran out of memory) and have to live with a single copy on a hard-disk until I get someplace I can make a duplicate.</p>

<p>I never like messing with cards in the field. My rules are to carry more than enough cards to handle any shooting by at least twice as much. Change a card if there is a hint of any issues. If the camera allows you to shoot Raw+JPEG, then I require that as well, I like redundancy (this also means carrying even more memory). In addition to that, I don't even like a shooter loading a card on their computer until after I have had a chance to download the images. I don't want any other computer playing with the cards directory.</p>

<p>The point at which a flash card is most likely to experience a failure is insertion into or removal from the camera or a reading device. Mere storage (e.g., in your bag) and transportation of the card does not greatly increase the odds of data loss. </p>

<p>Loss or theft of your cards during this time is a concern, but the Epson P-3000 is as likely to be stolen as your cards are, if not more likely (as you can easily keep the cards on your person). </p>

<p>If you have nothing else to spend your money on, it doesn't hurt to have immediate, onsite backup. But if you're like me, you've got 10 things on your purchase-soon list, and probably several of them offer a better return on your investment, particularly for a first wedding.</p>

<p>This is up to you. Do some searches for good card handling practices and think about how things can go wrong and why--all in relation to what <strong>you</strong> do. Someone else's best practices will not necessarily work for you if you just follow the list blindly.</p>

<p>I used to use a Wolverine device to back up in the field and it can be fine. I no longer do so. I never, however, erased cards in the field to reuse after backing up to the device. I used it like back up insurance, had it on a belt (theft) and only back up to it when I wasn't in a total rush (less chance of error). I checked with the company and verified that it could be backing up while still on my belt and I was in motion. Whatever you do, don't rely on the device for total back up. I'd still, when I got home, copy the files from the cards.</p>

<p>You won't have time to back up the cards in the field. Use good quality cards and chance them at different stages. I shoot with two camera's different lenses on each. I then chance cards just before the service, before formals and before the reception. This also makes sure your card won't be full just at that critical moment but also means you spread the risk. If a card was to be faulty I would only loose part of the wedding and with two camera's would still have a few shots of that part in the other camera anyway. I always use good quality cards and replace them regulary. There pretty cheep these days.</p>

<p>Never backed up film on-site.</p>

<p>Don't do it with digital.</p>

<p>Too much goin' on to take the time to do backups.</p>

<p>And my associate is a photographer not a helper.</p>

<p>I keep the CF cards in a case in my right pants pocket. Flipped over cards have been used. The side showing the mfgr. = not used. I install a "new" card check to see what's on it then format. Takes little time. Time is money at a wedding!</p>

<p>Best to your success!</p>

Don't trust recovery software sold on the internet. It usually doesn't work. If it does work all of the time, every time I'd own the software regardless of price. Often the software you buy or get from a friend or something can actually wreck a lot or all of your images. Since you are a pro use professional recovery services, for example Drive Savers.

<p>Thanks for everyone's input! Based on the overall opinion, card failure/data loss must not happen too often or a lot more people would have said "Yes, you MUST backup in the field." I'll do some more research about how/why/when cards fail and how to prevent that. Thanks again!</p>

<p>The bottom line is that the ACT of backing up your data in the field exposes you to a FAR greater chance of data loss (by an order of magnitude) than simply leaving the card in the camera, or your pocket. It is better to wait till your at home, time's not an issue, controlled environment, less stress, no puddles to butterfinger your portable drive and MC into... (often 'the field' is <em>literally</em> a field!!) And relying on having to backup on site to keep shooting.... BIG mistake...</p>

<p>The chance of a good quality card <em>spontaneously</em> failing before you get home is less likely than getting struck by lightning, yes it happens, but statistically, it's an act of god (and acts of god are covered in your contract). I have NEVER (personally) heard a credible story of spontaneous and unmitigated (by like a bad camera body for example) card failure (after confirmation of write and before file transfer) resulting in significant data loss.</p>

<p>Of course as far as recovery software goes, most reputable manufacturers offer full retail versions w/ the purchase of their better cards (I use lexar's Image rescue personally), and it does work, and work well, <em>**unless you've overwritten the data**</em> (in which case you're screwed)... All the better reason to buy professional grade MCs... </p>

<p>To contribute, "Yes, you MUST backup in the field." :O)</p>

<p>If you're shooting solo, then yeah, you probably don't have the time, but if you have an assistant or a second, then there is definitely time. After all, who wants pictures taken of them while they are eating? We (husband wife team) pack enough cards to get through the entire day. I backup our shots to a hyperdrive throughout the day, leaving images on cards. That gives us two copies of the images. Once home we load up to the computer which then has two separate backup drives. I leave the images on the cards until they are needed for the next job, and the hyperdrive holds its backup until it is full enough to warrant a reformat. That effectively gives us five copies of the files during the first week, four copies for a week or two after that, and then three indefinite copies. Oh, and our online hosting keeps a downsized jpeg copy on file.</p>

<p>One of the biggest complaints that pros make about newbs is that they don't have backups of their gear. The other complaint is that a wedding is a once in a lifetime moment (hopefully). There are no do-overs. It always surprises me when these same pros turn around and don't bother to back up the most important part of the no do-over day, the actual images. I mean, how many photogs would rather lose a piece of equipment over someone's wedding day?</p>

<p>So if you can afford it, get a dedicated backup drive like the epson, wolverine, or hyperdrive. And definitely don't "dump" to something else, have enough cards to get you through the day. While the chance of something going wrong is minute, if it does go wrong it can be crippling to your business. The last thing you want is an angry bride out there talking about how key moments, or worse yet, all of her wedding was lost because her photographer didn't spring a couple hundred bucks for a backup drive and/or didn't take the 10 minutes needed to backup cards.</p>

<p>And those were my lengthy two cents.</p>

<p>~David</p>