Backpacks for D300 with 18-200 VR Zoom

rarmstrong

Tamrac Expedition III. Room for two additional lenses (of reasonable stature), cleaning equipment, batteries and charger,filters etc. I sort out of my big storage bag into this back pack depending on my photographic purpose at the time. I can't seem to find a back pack that will hold everything... And I'm sure it would be too heavy.

Richard, if that is the only lens you will be carrying, you certainly don't need a backpack. I have the same camera/lens but I use a backpack because I take along a few other lenses as well.

The CompuTrekker is great if you want one bag to carry your photo gear and a laptop but to me, it has a couple downsides. First, it is a bit heavy. Second, if you are flying with it, the bag won't fit under your seat. Thus you need a large plane with overhead compartment space. If you are on a small plane, all your gear has to be checked. That is something I won't do.

I prefer separate bags for photo and laptop if the trip involves airline travel. Most often I use the MiniTrekker. That way I always have my camera and laptop under the seat on a plane, never out of my sight. If I am traveling by car, sometimes I use the NatureTrekker if I have a lot of gear. YMMV.

IMO, what you want is the smallest and easiest to access bag. For one body and one lens, any small shoulder bag will do. Lowepro, Tamrac, Domke, etc... -- many to choose from.

As you carry more and more equipment, then the SHOULDER bag you need gets bigger and bigger, until you get to a point where a shoulder bag is no longer comfortable. Then you need to start looking at backpacks -- excellent for transport, but not easily accessible -- you'd have to set down the pack to access your gear -- terribly inconvenient.

One thing you might to look at is one of those hybrid sling packs, such as a Lowepro Slingshot 200 (don't even bother with the 100) -- wear it like a backpack (albeit one shoulder only), then swing it around for access. It's good for one body and maybe up to 2-3 lenses -- more than that, IMO, belongs in a "true" backpack.

Good luck!

Keith

Thanks for the input so far. I'll plan to use the backpack to carry the camera, a camcorder, point and shoot, Sigma 30mm/1.4 prime, Toshiba laptop and various accessories. The reviews of the Lowepro CompuTrekkor have said that it fits under airline seats even on commuters. I have a separate briefcase type bag for the computer and the Lowepro Slingshot 200 looks interesting, but I'm not sure I want to carry 2 bags on trips. Any other thoughts?

I have a Lowepro Computrekker and Computrekker Plus. The Computrekker is equivalent to a Lowepro Minitrekker with a pocket for a 15" laptop. It is 2 inches deeper overall, but with one inch less internal depth. The Plus is the same size as a Phototrekker, with a slot for a 17" laptop (tight). I use it as my main gig bag with two bodies, three f/2.8 zooms, flash, etc.

The Computrekkers are made well and have a tidy shoulder strap design. The also have an innovative tripod holder that keeps the center of gravity low enough to prevent swinging it about. I carry a relatively long Gitzo G-1227 with ease. I carry the bag over one shoulder for short distances or two shoulders for hours at a time (about 36 pounds loaded). I add the sternum strap and waist belt as needed.

The Computrekker is much more bag than you need at present, unless you actually carry a laptop in it. A Microtrekker, Orion, or sling bag might be more appropriate.

Lay your gear out on a table and measure it. You can easily estimate what size bag you need using specifications from http://www.lowepro.com.

As you accumulate gear, you will need other bags at various times. Be sure to include flash (if any), extra batteries, cables, etc. Miscellaneous stuff adds up quickly. There's no one bag "best" for all situations.

I use a Computrekker AW all the time - it is certainly large enough to carry all your equipment but it won't fit under a plane seat. For carrying your camera with 18-200, 30/1.4 and a camcorder it might be too large already (depending on the size of the camcorder of course). If you plan on attaching the MB-D10 to your D300 you will find that the internal depth of the backpack is barely adequate (and certainly when you have a laptop in the backpocket).

For an out of the box solution I use a Timbuk2 Data Dump bag.

http://www.amazon.com/Timbuk2-Datadump-Daypack/dp/B000JD7P7E

I have a 4 hour daily commute from eastern LI to NYC which I carry my macbook pro, nikon d200 w the 18-200vr zoom, 10-20sigma and the 50mm1.8, a change of cloths and lunch. The 2 front padded pockets are perfect for lenses and easy access, the laptop compartment is separate and thickly padded, and the main compartment is large enough to fit everything else with room to spare. The bottom is fully padded and waterproof and while the features doesnt say it the rest of the bag is waterproof. I have walked countless avenues in the rain with this bag without any water leakage and this is the first bag that hasnt killed my shoulders and is comfortable enough to walk with all day. Its also a plus that it looks pretty better than a typical camera bag and fits under airplane seats.

The Computrekker is 5" deep. It will hold a DSLR with a built-in or detachable vertical grip, but the prism will stick out about 1 inch. The cover flap will accommodate this bulge without any problem. This is a non-issue, IMO.

It is true that the Computrekker will NOT fit under an airline seat. It fits easily into the overhead compartment with the handle out (in consideration of other passengers with luggage).

While we're on the subject of backpacks, I went this morning onto the Lowepro site and saw the new "Fastpack" line of bags. They look like the same idea as Slingshot series but with 2 shoulder straps and far more room for general gear. Anyone played with one in real life?

Okay, if you're set on a backpack, then yes, I would recommend the Computrekker AW. I have one and use it quite a bit around town or to local events.

However, my favorite photo/non-photo backpack that I use for any out of town trip is the Kinesis backpack.

It's basically a systemic approach -- just a plain backpack with vertical "rails" to which you can clip various Kinesis accessories -- photo holsters, cases, etc... It also has the same type of attachment system on the outside of the pack as well as the belt.

It's completely modular, so you can pick and choose what you want; even a laptop case.

Like most people who post here, I have a closet full of bags, but if I have to get rid of all but one, this is the one I keep.

Keith

Hi Richard,

I have a computer trekker AW and love it.

Without reading the responses, I can say I would buy another one tomorrow.

I don't always carry my laptop but when traveling on aircraft etc it is perfect for keeping you most valuable equipment at your side. Recently on a trip to Antarctica I weighed the bag in at 17.7kg (about 40lbs) and despite repeatedly picking it up by one holster it simply doesn't miss a beat and has enough adjustment straps to make it fit like a glove and that includes a hip fastening point which takes much of the weight if fitted properly.

I normally carry it at about 10 kg (22lbs) and don't even notice it. Just last Friday I had to shoot a police siege and had the thing on my back for 5 hours and didn't even notice it there.

The AW sheet works well but I haven't REALLY tested it but it has helped me in heavy rain a couple of times.

It comes down to the sort of photography you do and the gear you want/need to carry with you that should make your decision.

As a final note, I use a sling bag on the outside with the system great. I normally put an additional lens in it while using the other lenses on the camera around my neck for easy use. It simply makes for an easy but more importantly quick change of lens if needed.

In the past, I always felt lowepro charged way too much for the value but the computrekka AW has changed my opinion of this.

Just my thoughts.

Mike Sea

Just to add another set of options, Think Tank Photo has extremely well made gear (www.ThinkTankPhoto.com). I just got the Airport Antidote (http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_ArprtAntdt.php) for taking a 15" laptop and D300 + 18-200mm + 50mm + 60mm macro + flash + cables/batteries/filters, etc. The nice thing about this bag is that it will fit in the overhead of a *regional jet*. The laptop goes in an external sleeve and comes with padded laptop case. For on-site stuff, I got the Change Up (http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_ChngUp.php).

And I got these because the LowePro Slingbag 100 was too small for the current gear list. I love it for on-site shooting, though, with 1 extra lens and sundries.

Isn't capitalism wonderful?

Cheers, David.

For travelling, I rely on a two-bag setup. When enroute, I load all my gear into my LowePro Rover II or Computrekker Plus if I'm bringing a laptop. Upon arrival at my accomodations, I pull my Lowepro Slingshot 200 out of my suitcase and that serves as the bag I use every day. Typically, I carry one body, two zooms, and a P&S for the day, so the Slingshot 200 is perfect because it easily fits that gear plus my non-photo stuff (wallet, pda, gps, etc). I also have a generic water bottle holster that attaches to one of the "Slip-lok" attachment points on all of my LowePro bags. Oh, and I also have a small pouch for my P&S that also attaches to the "Slip-lok" attachments so my P&S is always at hand.

This system has worked very well for me. I used to use a shoulder bag for my outings but found them to cause me lower back pain, even when using a courier-style bag which conformed to my hips and had a wide belt. The Slingshot sits snug against my lower bug which seems to suit me better and doesn't aggravate my lower back nearly as much.

But for heavy loads, nothing works better for me than a pack with a very good waist belt.

larsbc