Backpacking southern Utah northern Arizona in November

dave_s

<p>Hi everyone. What would be a good 3 - 4 - 5 night hike in the UT/AZ southwest? I'm looking at the middle of November, including the Veterans' Day long weekend, which unfortunately makes things a bit more crowded.<br>

<br />Background is<br>

*I'm about 60% photography and 40% backpacking, so good scenics is a plus, and off the beaten path is even better. <br>

*Water along the way is a good thing.<br>

*Anything from 20 - 50 miles, but for longer distances reliable water is a must. A loop trail starting and finishing near a decent road would be good. (Think rental car.)</p>

<p>Ideas, please.</p>

<p>Think about Escalante/Grand Staircase and Capitol Reef. Laurent Martres Book on Photographing the Southwest, Vol 1-Southern Utah is a great resource. These places are likely to be significantly less crowded than some of the better known areas such as Arches, Bryce, etc. </p>

<p>Hi all. Just to clarify, I've been to the desert southwest a number of times, so I'm not trying to do the grand tour-- just a trail to hike for a few days, with my pal Mr Rollei.</p>

<p>Bob's suggestion of the Grand Canyon is a good one, but it's a no-go. I already applied for a backpacking permit last week, and was turned down. Seems they're full in November, at least in the obvious places, and the north side will be closed.</p>

<p>Thinking about Canyonlands, Ed Abbey country. Hayduke lives! Would be cool in mid-November, but OK with the down bag. Water would probably limit the duration of the trip.</p>

<p>Maybe Capitol Reef like Phil says-- some scary good photography was done there by a guy named White. I'll look into Escalante too. Maybe I could squeeze in two short two-day trips, with a motel and a shower in-between.</p>

<p>Keep the suggestions coming-- this is useful. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>GSENM:<br>

Egypt Bench - Escalante River, visit the lower reaches of Neon, Ringtail, and Choprock canyons before returning via 25 mile wash. Roughly 20 miles of slot canyons, red rock and green trees. Plenty-O-Water in the Escalante river.</p>

<p>A VERY rough path. You'll want to study the best places to exit the Escalante River canyon. <br>

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60092457/EscalanteHike.kmz (Google Earth)</p>

<p>http://www.landscapeimagery.com/escalante.html</p>

<p>Or any one of a zillion similar hikes in the general area.</p>

<p>Thanks all. This is very useful. I've got it down to three, I think. In no particular order:</p>

<p>(a) Escalante River, downcanyon from either the townsite or from UT 12, with side canyons as available. Upside: lots of ambient water means 5 day trip with a light pack, could cover a lot of ground. Downside: wet feet in November. Have to think about this one.</p>

<p>(b) Canyonlands-- Needles District. A 3 day (2 night) trip, maybe to Chesler, a night in the tourist campground with a shower, and an overnighter, maybe Lost Canyon. Downside: no water, or scarce anyway.</p>

<p>© Death Valley-- 3 overnights, punctuated by nights in the tourist campground at Stovepipe Wells. Upside: showers and real food/beer every second night. Downside: no water, and done it before.</p>

<p>Thinking about Paria too. I'll figure that one out over the next week or so before I make plans. I'll post a photo or two in December when I've got my film back (probably all C41 this trip). Thanks to everybody and best wishes.</p>

<p>Right on the money. Dawn and dusk is where the action is.</p>

<p>One good thing about November is that the sun's at a lower angle, which is usually to your advantage as a landscaper. You pay for it with the short daylight hours, but that means you don't have to get up too early to catch sunrise.</p>

<p>Thanks for the advice about the San Juan region-- I'll look into that as well. </p>