Backpack recommendations

christian deichert

My beloved Lowepro Orion Trekker is just about falling apart. (Go figure, it's probably about 20 years old at this point.)

Looking for recommendations for something similar to replace it.

Would like the capacity for 1-2 DSLR bodies (Canon 5D, 5D mk II) and a few chunky lenses (16-35/2.8, 100/2.8 macro, 50/1.2), plus a daypack area I can throw things into. I don't necessarily need to fit a laptop. It would be nice to have external fittings for a bigger lens case like 70-200/2.8.

In a perfect world, I'd be able to take my kit to a store and see what it can fit into, but my local area is pretty lacking when it comes to dedicated camera stores. So I'll take whatever recommendations I can get. If you could include what you usually fit into it, that'd be swell.

Thanks in advance!

edit: here's what the Orion Trekker looked like, for an idea of what I'm used to.

http://www.cambags.com/media/reviews/photos/original/39/f4/4a/lowepro-orion-trekker-ii-87-1406228517.jpg

s-l300.jpg

Edited by christian deichert

A day pack on top of something large enough for two bodies plus lenses? Tricky. I have a LowePro Fastpack (mine's the older version), but you might find getting two bodies in the bottom to be a tight fit - though I've had a D810 with a 70-200 or 300 f/4 in there (I think), so your shorter lenses may help. I assume you want the sections properly separated (so your lunch can't end up in your lenses), so just getting a moderately-sized bag and putting a divider between your camera kit and your other stuff won't work?

You could try the Think Tank ShapeShifter - the front pockets aren't huge, but you can get a reasonable amount in them (I've just about got a jumper in there), and you can stop it being a camera bag when you don't want it to be.

Otherwise, the Manfrotto Advanced Befree (or other Advanced range bags) looks like it might help? No personal experience. It's hard to find something without a laptop pocket these days. There seem to be reviews from a lot of manufacturers whose names I've not learned that meet the "camera plus daypack" category; unfortunately I'm normally carting enough camera gear that I tend to blot them out. I keep getting offered "top ten camera bag" round-ups on YouTube that cover this kind of thing, though.

Good luck - I hope you find something.

A Thinktank Airport Essentials would hold your equipment with a little room to spare. One consideration for DSLRs is the depth of the bag, so the prism doesn't protrude above the protected space. The Essentials is 5" deep, which is enough for a 5D without a grip. With a grip, you would need the next larger size, the "Commuter", which is 6" deep and about an inch longer and wider.

I use an "Essentials" for a Sony kit, with enough leg room to store two bodies, on end. I gave a similar bag, an Airport Advantage roller, to my daughter-in-law, which she uses for her 5D kit. I have two "Commuter" bags, which I uses for a Nikon D3 and Hasselblad ELD555 kit, respectively.

I like the semi-rigid outer shell covered with 1000D nylon. The rectangular shape is space-efficient, and easier to store in an airpolane. It has handles on three sides for lifting and carrying. The straps are good enough for schlepping on a short trail or through an airport, but not for overnight hiking. Unlike Lowe backpacks, there is no pocket for the straps. I tie the waist band in a knot to keep it out of the way, unless I need it.

Does the Essentials have a day pack area? I thought it was a single camera section only. I do like the general design - it's like a tiny version of the Airport Accelerator. (I was tempted by an Accelerator, which I believe is the update of the Acceleration 2.0 and slightly bigger - but the Acceleration does have the ability to tuck all the straps away, and I've got to say it's useful when it comes to not tangling it in other people's baggage in airline cabins.)

If you don't carry a laptop in it, so there is room for a rain shell, small umbrella and other accessories in the front compartment. There is a pocket which will hold a water bottle on one side. There are no pockets to tuck the straps away, but you can shorten the shoulder straps, tuck in the ends, and tie a bow know in the waist band, and carry it like a suitcase by the handle on the side (or top). That takes care of most entanglement issues. The bottom handle is just a thin strap, good for hoisting into an overhead compartment.

Besides weight distribution, the advantage of a back pack is your gear in a single layer, without stacking. Dual purpose backpacks I've seen are basically a shoulder bag with benefits, serving neither purpose well. If you don't want to check a bag with clothes, the Airport Essentials will fit under an aisle or center seat, and a small duffle can go in the overhead.

Choice of tripods, camera bags, and spouses are profoundly affected by the nature of the user.

[on the lines of "My spouse is getting ratty, what would you recommend for a replacement?"]

Moreover, good camera 'luggage' depends on the purposes for which it is to be used.

I prefer shoulder bags for "out and about" shooting, but use a massive 3-body/many lenses, laptop-holding Tenba for getting to far away places. I throw a shoulder bag in and outload what I need for a day into it.

• Like 1