backpack advice

gary_zimmermann

<p>Hello<br>

I need help choosing a backpack...which will hold a 17"laptop, two bodies...and maybe 3-4 lens...maybe a flash, ect. I see more comments about Lowepro vs. Tamarac, so is the general consensus that Lowepro are made better? I live in an area..whereby I really do not have the option of going to a camera store to see a big selection, so it is always helpful hearing from people who have had products in their hands, in their use. I do not take my laptop everytime i shoot...but it would be conveinient not taking my laptop back. Any advice and feedback would be helpful and appreciated. thank you</p>

<p>If you are talking real backpack (for prolonged hiking) then get a real backpack (I use Osprey) and use inserts, wraps, etc. to make it into a photo backpack. No production "photo backpack" I know of is meant for hiking when loaded (except for punitive hikes in concentration camps...) OTOH if you are looking for a backpack to carry you gear to shooting location or from the check-in counter to gate 44A and to the rental car, take a look at the ThinkTank stuff.</p>

<p>I will take up to about a 15 mile hike with a photo backpack. Any further than that and it probably is an overnight, which puts it into the camping backpacks.</p>

<p>I mostly use Tamrac (752, 767, 777, 787) backpacks and LowePro S&F vest/belt systems in a mix and match mode.</p>

<p>You are not going to find one that works for all situations.</p>

<p>Hi Gary,<br>

I have a Lowepro Fastpack 350 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lowepro-Fastpack-350-Backpack-Notebook/dp/B000YIWR9U) which I really like and use a lot and take it on holiday. However there is one point that might affect you.</p>

<ol>

<li>It does not have a tripod holder or straps.</li>

</ol>

<p>In the bottom it holds my D300 + motor drive and 4 lenses and the top a drink + my Lee filters. I would say that it is worth a look.</p>

• 11 years later...
YOREPEK TSA is suitable, It is one of the few backpacks that can hold a 17-inch computer. In addition to this, one of my favorite things is that it has many padding compartments, which divide the huge backpack space into small spaces, and the collision between items becomes safe. Not only the outside of the backpack, the materials and texture inside the backpack are also very good.

Not much has changed since the 2009 original post.

The trouble, for me, with a real back pack is the difficulty and slowness of access.

I prefer what used to be called a "journalist's bag" which is accessible from the side.