Backlit sensors

As far as I know there are only 4 cameras with backlit sensors, and that would be the Sony A9, A7R2, A7R3, and the new Nikon D850. I understand that in theory at least it's suppose to give improved noise performance, and it may, but I'm not sure I can see that dramatic a difference. Looking at the D850 in particular, and comparing it to dxomark's High iso sports score I think they call it, I see it's slightly worse than the previous D810. Granted, it's rocking about 10 more mps, but still I would have expected a little more obvious improvement. In any event if you compare it with the D500 which is not backlit you can see the old tech holding it's own in this regard. Perhaps someone of a technical nature can explain to what degree, and reason a backlit sensor preferable.

Backlit sensors are common in smaller sizes.

Nikon used the space given by the backlit sensor design to implement faster reading of the sensor, not to improve the light collection or high ISO performance.

As for dxomark scores, they are very arbitrary, especially the sports score. The sports score simply states the ISO beyond which one of their metrics of image quality is below a threshold that they set. Improvements in image quality at higher ISO settings are not reflected in the sports score.

• Like 1

Thanks ilkka-nissila, that's interesting. Is having a backlit sensor something that can be turned to improved iso, or is it something they're all using to get faster reading?

It is glow in the dark, can be used as flashlight in case of emergency and mainly used to increase camera price:)

• Like 1

I just bought an Olympus XZ-2 "compact" from 2013 that has a back-lit sensor. The name seems to imply something different that what it actually means. In a typical sensor, the photo receptors are located in "wells" underneath wiring and other things that block some light from the receptors. It's done this way because it's easier to build.

Back Side illumination flips the sensor so the light hits what would normally be the backside first, - the part where the photo receptors are. It's a technique for getting more light to the photo receptors, - helping with noise and other low light related problems.

• Like 1