Background Help

stephen_doldric

<p>I wasn't sure where this belongs, but I think it fits here the best. I have a basement, 14feet wide x 26feet deep x 7.5 feet high (90 inches). I know the height stinks, but the rest of it is great. Plus it free and warm.</p>

<p>The 14 foot wide wall I am using as the back of the studio and it is 100% cement foundation floor to ceiling. It's not in bad shape, but not perfectly smooth either. I want to turn it into pure smooth seamless white and just leave it there full time. I would like to avoid sheetrocking it. What are my options?</p>

<p>Are there any 8foot x 4foot panels that I could glue on? And if so how do I deal with the seams?</p>

<p>I can get a role of savage 107" wide seamless paper cheap, but I'm not sure how I would apply tension to it to keep it perfectly seamless and smooth since I would want to use it sideways. Any thoughts? I could apply a thin strip of wood around the boarder and staple the paper to that. The advantage of seamless paper is I can just start over if it gets messed up.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>In my studio days, iIhad a carpenter friend come in and build a 10 foot wide cove at the floor seam and then hung an 18 foot long roll of linoleum back side out starting at the ceiling position and gluing it to the cove and concrete floor. We added two coats of the brightest white Epoxy paint and had the perfect seamless white background. The floor got carefully mopped about once a month and repainted about twice a year. Used it for better than 12 years until I moved on.</p>

<p>In my studio days, I had a carpenter friend come in and build a 10 foot wide cove at the floor seam and then hung an 18 foot long roll of linoleum back side out starting at the ceiling position and gluing it to the cove and concrete floor. We added two coats of the brightest white Epoxy paint to the completely smooth back side and had the perfect seamless white background. The floor got carefully mopped about once or twice a month and repainted about twice a year. Used it for better than 12 years until I moved on.</p>

<p>You're trying to do this the hard way. Just take the roll of seamless and hang it normally (in the horizontal position), unroll it and you have your white backdrop. You can't really use the full 14-foot width anyhow -- you need some room to either side of the subjects to place your lights. If you do want to go as wide as possible, I believe Savage makes 12-foot-wide seamless. Costs more, but still cheaper than any of the alternatives of building something.</p>

<p>I'll have to go to the local improvement center and see what they have for options. Floor covering and painting it might work depending on the backing. I def don't need 14ft wide, but I use white a lot so I figured if I had an entire wall thats there all the time, it would in turn save me a bunch of time and I would never need to worry about an edge to the left or right. It would be the default. I could then use a different colored seamless when required vertically. Of course I could just lay out a white seamless and leave it there full time down to the floor, but not on the floor. I wasn't too worried about the seam as long as its tight to the floor. I've used white 4x8 sheets before on the floor and just cleaned the seam up in PS.</p>