Backdrop Stands

I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a good backdrop stand. I've been

looking around (Ebay included) and there's no way of telling how sturdy these

things are. I definitely want it to be able to support paper rolls as well as

canvass backdrops. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

William

I use this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/41824-REG/Photek_S40104_Background_Support_System_.html

Two things I don't care for. The horizontal poles are only in increments, meaning it's 3,6,9 or 12 ft(The sections aren't telescopic). They stands are not air cushioned which isn't a big deal when I'm setting it up.

On the good side, they use stands that can be used as regular light stands. While this seems trivial, I almost bought the morris setup before I was told they weren't exactly regular light stands.

Also, the pins that go on top of the stands are cheap to replace, $5 each. I bough a couple spares, because I can put them on my other stands to create an L background if needed.

I've only used them for 10ft muslin's, and not seemless paper.

However, as long as you adjust the stands legs properly, I think you'll be okay.

It also comes with a good carry case.

-Mario

Savage PoleVault is the industry standard for a portable background stand. Bogen/Manfrotto's Autopoles are also good for temporary setups. In the studio, I use electrical conduit bolted to the exposed joists of the ceiling (basement) with U-bolts. Conduit it cheap, comes in 10-foot lengths and can be cut to length with a hacksaw or sabre saw.

That's a great setup Tim has there. I love the simplicity of it. If you wanted to do something similar but don't want to drill holes in your wall for the mounting blocks like he has, Lowel (the video light people) makes a couple of clamps that could go on either side of a doorway or arched opening between rooms. (Can't tell if he has his seamless between two rooms or in a space up against the wall but the clamps could work either way.)

Check out the Morris company if you want to go portable, they come in a bag with two stands and two center sections that snap together and extend, I have used it with the longer rolls and extended up to around 8ft high, would recomend sand bagging or weighting any stand.

• 2 months later...