Back to Film Basics

Thanks for the responses to my previous post regarding processing TMAX 100. The responses offered very different ideas so I thought I would go back to basics.

<p>

What film(s) and developer(s) are suggested for the following:

<p>

1) 120 format

2) Condenser enlarger

3) Tripod mounted camera

4) Hybrid between Ansel Adams style and Edward Weston's. That is landscape and studio detail shots

5) I am looking for detail and moderate to high contrast

<p>

Based on any responses I will try some comparative variations of fil and developer. I have three backs so I will probably limit myself to a multiple(s) of three.

<p>

Thanks, grant

Hi,

TX and XTOL.

<p>

My personal testing rates TX at 700 using XTOL 1:1

for 6:45 at 68 degrees.

<p>

Second choice, TX and HC-110 dil. B. ASA 300. Develop for 4:30.

<p>

Howard

<p>

Howard

Grant, I recommend you get the three Ansel Adams books: The Camera, The Neagative, and The Print. These are available in paperback now at quite reasonable prices.

<p>

If I could persuade you to replace just one component, it would be the condenser lamp on your enlarger. I spent years trying to get a 'fine' print form my condenser Besselers without success. Finally, I paid attention to Ansel's (and Fred Picker's) advise and bought a cold light. What a difference! If money is tight, there are many Aristo and older Zone VI cold lights on the used market.

I second (third, and fourth) the Adams trilogy. They should be required reading for anyone doing serious B&W. Full of useful information and techniques, well written and lots of gorgeous photos. I also recommend "Beyond the Zone System", Phil Davis, for people trying to deepen their understanding of exposure, development and printing.