Back after a 2 year hiatus…

CoryAmmerman

<p>

<p>I just stumbled across this forum in the forum dropdown, and I think it’s a great idea. Sometimes internet forums are a little too impersonal.</p>

<p>Here's a little bit about me...</p>

<p>I started in photography not too long ago when I bought a Nikon N65 with the 28-80 and 70-300 kit lenses in 2004. I followed those with a N75 body and 50mm and 24mm prime lenses over the next couple of years. I was definitely hooked on photography, but my work schedule and (later) my school schedule made it almost impossible to get out and shoot, and the need to have film developed added to the difficulty of continuing my hobby. Eventually I had to put photography on the backburner. I pretty much quit taking photos altogether and spent much less time on PN.</p>

<p>Recently, I bought my first digital SLR, a Nikon d50. That has made a world of difference! Now, if I only have an hour or so to shoot, I can run out and snap away. With digital, there are no more trips to the photo store to drop off or pick up film. No more waiting for the developing to get done. And the LCD helps me know I got the shot I wanted right away. I’m hooked all over again.</p>

<p>I don’t ever plan on becoming a professional photographer. My photography has always been primarily for me. Of course I <em>do</em> take pleasure in getting the occasional compliment from friends and family! I enjoy many different types of photography, mainly landscapes/nature and architecture. I'm thinking about branching out into macro and street photography. Maybe one day I might print some of my favorite images and try to sell a few if anyone likes them. I’d also like to try my hand at building some frames by hand and see how that goes.</p>

<p>Aside from photography, I currently live in Memphis, Tennessee, USA. I’m currently in school full time to become an X-ray technician, and I also work part time to try to pay the bills, so I still don’t have as much time to take pics as I’d like. Hopefully, when I finish school in 2011 I’ll have more time to devote to photography.</p>

<p>Anyway, thanks for reading my intro.</p>

<p>Cory</p>

</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I’d also like to try my hand at building some frames by hand and see how that goes.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You know, I was thinking about doing that myself. I haven't looked into it much to see what kind of accuracy is required from the miter saw. But I have a feeling that a hand saw and a miterbox might be better than the big dewalt sliding miter saw.</p>

<p>Welcome (back)!</p>

<p>I also just stumbled across this and think it is a great idea also. I have already looked at your work several times. My grandchildren live near you (with their parents, of course, ha.) (Ha, is an old ladies version of lol, I think!) Was thinking you could borrow my husbands shop to build your frames in exchange for helping me learn about this Nikon D5000 thing that I think I should have taken back and just got a little better point and shoot than I had. However, I am afraid I'm addicted at this point, or maybe stubborn. I wish you good luck with the X-ray technician field. I really like your photographs, by the way. </p>

<p>Peggy, thanks for the compliment and wishing me luck. I'm glad to know that at least someone has looked at my photos. The frames thing is still just an idea. Unfortunately, with school and work I dont have much time for much of anything else. </p>

<p>Of course I'll be more than happy to help you with any questions you might have about your d5000. I think that once you get used to it, you'll be much happier than you would have been with a point and shoot. I don't know much about that particular camera, but the basics of digital photography are pretty much the same no matter what camera you have. Some just have more bells and whistles. Feel free to ask me anything or post a question on one of the forums. There are a lot of people here that know a lot more than me.</p>

<p>Best Wishes,<br>

Cory</p>

<p>Cory,<br>

I'll add my welcome too! I've been here since July '09 and have enjoyed the site a lot.<br>

I also have a suggestion for your frame project... sometimes a smaller lumber yard will have a tablesaw that could dado out space for your glass...especially if you bought your moulding from them. Many will cut lumber or moulding to an apartment-managable size.<br>

Good luck!<br>

Diane</p>