B&W people shots in India - filter?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by johnny massey, Jan 29, 2007.

1. My question is as simple as this:- Dark Yellow or Yellow/Green?.<p>Thanks in
    advance for any advice. Johnny.

2. A yellow filter for people??? Don't think you need it unless you want to kick clouds up a notch in outside shots. With available light I wouldn't want to introduce a filter factor and discard useful photons.

There's quite a few B&W India people shots in my gallery, none using filters other than possibly a UV for lens protection.

3. I agree with Glenn. You will lose too much light with colored filters.

4. Er, I'm thinking with tri-x I might like to lose a stop (basically, I'm simply emptying the (film) contents of the fridge into my back-pack, and most of it is tri-x). I'm with you in that nothing is required, but I'd like to kill two birds with one stone - 'pimp' skin tones and get some shallower depth of field.

5. Are you shutter speed limited? Using a 1/1000 sec Leica, eh? Otherwise take them at 1/8000 sec and you will be ok at f/2 to f/2.8.

6. back in the 70's when I was shooting with my trusty Asahi Pentax, I would often use a Pentax yellow-green filter with Tri-X and Plus-X and I loved the results with a matte finish. cb