B&W Negative Film Scanner Required.

<p>Hi folks,<br>

I`m not sure if this is the correct section to post this question.<br>

I want to buy a film scanner that is suitable for scanning conventional 35mm B&W film negatives for uploading onto website galleries such as photo.net and apug.org. My films are mostly Ilford FP4 Plus, HP5 Plus and some Kodak HIE infra-red B&W.<br>

Keith.</p>

<p>You might want to specify what your budget is, but if it's on the low-end, you can use an Epson 4490, which is being replaced by the V500. There are still plenty around, and you can pick them up right now for just over a hundred bucks. Otherwise, scout for a used Minolta (Konica Minolta), Nikon, Polaroid, or Canoscan dedicated film scanner. Make sure you can use the interface. I'd stay away from those using the SCSI interface because they're growing old and parts are hard to find for anything but the Nikon. Get a USB interface if you can. The Epson 4490 will do medium format film as well (it is what all my web scans in my portfolio are made with).</p>

<p>I have been really pleased with my Epson V500, which I have been using for several months. I have scanned well over a thousand negatives, both 35mm and MF. I bought mine from Amazon, but this site sponsors Adorama which has good prices as well. I used some of those same films as you mentioned, minus the infra-red. JR</p>

<p>Keith,<br>

I faced the same decision three months ago. I did considerable research into this and settled on a Nikon Coolscan 5000. It's a dedicated flim scanner and offers significant advantages over the others mentioned above I have some excellent scans of B&W negatives and prints rival traditional silver gelatin prints made in the darkroom.. Major drawback is the price.</p>

<p>Alan</p>