B&W laserjet printer cheaper?

trying to reduce costs, I'm wondering about switching to printing at home in b&w only and have seen a b&w

laserjet printer for about 80 Euros. Will it make b&w prints the same, better, or worse, than an inkjet? Will it

work out cheaper compared to printing b&w with an inkjet ie are the cartridges cheaper?

Absolutely not. Even color laser prints aren't going to look as good as inkjet, and a BW Laser is going to have a very "Xerox-esque" quality to it.

Heck, I prefer the prints from my $300 ink jet to the ones I get from the $750,000 commercial laser here at

work. Laser in general has a very odd "severity" to it that makes photos look choppy. It might (big might) be good for making sure

you got all the dust off of scanned film, but little else.

Though I don't know specifically what model you're looking at, last I knew laser toner was kinda pricey, and for what you're getting quality

wise, I doubt you'd be happy with it.

I use a color laserjet printer (Xerox 3660) for proofing and contact sheets. The quality is basically "brochure" quality - the kind you would see in an hotel lobby advertising local attractions. It is definitely good enough for CD and DVD covers, which is my main use. B&W reproduction is much less acceptible than color printing. The quality is grainy and contrasty, and too "cold" in appearance compared to a good inkjet or fiber print.

On the plus side, laser printing is cheap. The cartridges (4 required) cost $200-$280 each, but you get as many as 15,000 pages per set. The paper is also much cheaper. It costs about $0.17 per letter sized page to print photographs, including both toner and paper.