b+w kaesemann polarizer

Mike_R1664876643

<p>I just received a new 77mm Kaesemann polarizer filter from B&H. Just from a quick comparision with my old Hoya polarizer, I'm already amazed at the clarity of this filter. Money well spent. However, it is very hard to rotate compared to my Hoya, which seems much smoother. In fact rotating it to the left causes it to nearly unthread from the lens if I'm not careful. Is this normal for the B+W polarizers, or should I try to exchange it for another? I try not to be too picky with equipment, nothing is perfect, but then I paid quite a bit for this filter.</p>

<p>It should not be "very hard" to turn. If so, probably a reason for exchange. It should also have a uniform resistance 360 degrees. That said, I tighten my B&W polarizers to the lens only lightly, so they all tend to unscrew if I turn the polarizer in the unscrew direction. Instead, I turn them consistently in the tightening direction, and they stay on.</p>

<p>If you had other polarizers (or screw-on GND filters) you should know the usual feel, amount of drag, sounds like this one eluded B+W's quality control. If you've never contacted B&H for an exchange I predict you'll be pleasantly suprised.</p>

<p>As far as it coming loose when you turn it: while that's a sign the filter's rotation is too tight, one tip I heard was to always turn in the direction that tightens the filter on the lens' front threads. In practice it's hard to adhere to though, especially if you've slightly over-shot when turning.</p>

Just a thought: is it as hard to turn when off the lens as when on? If it is only tight on the lens, perhaps the threads were

misaligned when installing, or there is a problem on the lens. I've had this problem, where the whole thing gets a bit bent, and the polarizer doesn't rotate easily.

I'd also been told to only turn the polarizer the same way you install the filter.

<p>Yes, it's as hard to turn off the lens as on (if not even harder). I'm just going to have B&H exchange it. Already requested an RMA. I don't like returning items, but in this case I think it's warranted. If the next one is the same, then I'll know it's typical for this brand/model of filter and will just accept it.</p>

<p>I remember that a few years ago B-W had a recall on some stiff Kaesmann CP's. You could either send them back in for an exchange or try to loosen them up by turning them back and forth. I was headed out on a long trip and did the latter. Mine works fine now, silky smooth.</p>

<p>Yes, it's as hard to turn off the lens as on (if not even harder). I'm just going to have B&H exchange it. Already requested an RMA. I don't like returning items, but in this case I think it's warranted. If the next one is the same, then I'll know it's typical for this brand/model of filter and will just accept it.</p>

<p>Yeah, sounds like an exchange is in order. I have the "wide angle" (read: thin profile) B+W Kasemann CPL in 77mm and it is very smooth to operate. Not to the point where it can be spun, but smooth movement that doesn't bind, and is fast enough.</p>

<p>I sent the filter back to B&H. I'm always impressed with their level of service, which is why I only like dealing with them. They quickly sent me an RMA and even paid to ship the filgter back to them. How many vendors do that. I'll be anxious to get the replacement filter to see if it rotates more smoothly. Either way, I'll just keep it.</p>

• 3 weeks later...