B&W film with a blue-tinted base -- anyone ever seen this?

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a bunch of 120 and 35mm B&W film cheap from Photo Warehouse in California (www.photowarehouse.biz). Everything I had read on the Net (which wasn't much) suggested that this stuff is re-labelled Ilford, a la Freestyle. Tonight I developed one roll each of the 35mm and 120, both 400 ISO.

The 35mm stuff does look like Ilford. Style and typeface of the edge markings are just like Ilford, it just doesn't say "Ilford". Just like from Freestyle.

The 120 is another matter. The most remarkable feature is that the film base is actually tinted a fairly strong blue or blue-green. No real edge markings except for numbering. The outer wrapper had start marks in German and English.

There aren't that many companies manufacturing B&W film, so I'm trying to figure out whose re-labelled stuff this is. Anyone have any ideas? Blue-tinted film base ring a bell to anyone?

This blue-green anti-halation dye is common on some East European films. I've found it in Fomapan T200 and Classic Pan (which is Foretepan) 400. It doesn't seem to come out in the fix/wash, like the dye in T-Max film, but it does come out if you do a presoak (at least 2 min.) before developing.

I wouldn't worry too much about residual tint from anti-halation dyes. If it really bothers you or seems to interfere with printing, try a developer with more alkalinity, like Rodinal. That stuff strips out the dyes pretty effectively.

Some folks report good results getting out most of the color using a hypo clearing agent after fixing. I haven't felt the need to use HCA on my negs but it might be worth trying.

Hi everyone, thanks for the answers. I should clarify that this blue tint doesn't bother me -- I don't think I'll have any unusual problems printing these negs. I was just curious as I was expecting this film to show signs of Ilfordness, which I know does not have a blue base with my set-up. (Which, by the way, is Gainer's VitC-phenidone-borax dev and Sprint fixer.) I guess the main point of my question was if anyone knew of a name-branded B&W film that routinely gives a blue-tinted film base. David's clue is important. I'll bet they're re-labelling the stuff from an E. European factory.

Thanks again for past and future answers and in general to all the regulars here from whom I have learned so much!