B&W category

timzeipekis

I don't think we want a B&W category, though a check box (similar to the "unmanipulated" check box) would be a possible idea.

Of course you'd have to decide if B&W meant shot on B&W film, or shot on color film and desaturated, or digitally captured in B&W or desatured color, plus whether sepia toning counts as B&W etc. etc.

While we're at it I suppose a check box for "scanned film" could be added for those who don't like looking at digital captures!

While I'm a diehard b&w film guy, I'm not sure there's a benefit to such a search category on photo.net. It seems to presume that only a b&w aficionado can appreciate a b&w photo. In my experience, this doesn't seem to be true.

And since scanning b&w film and prints is an art and craft unto itself, as evidenced by the many JPEGs of classics I've seen online that don't resemble the actual prints I've seen in museums and galleries, would we be acknowledging the craft of b&w photography, or simply the craft of preparing monochrome JPEGs for web display?

It's simply just a way of searching out images that are in B&W on this site, I suppose monotone could be used to include toned images. I just enjoy looking at monotones and was looking for an easier way to view them instead of just browsing blindly. How could that not be a benefit Lex? It doesn't presume anything.