B&H still a good online seller?

chuck

I am looking to get back into photography after 10+ years. I am looking to buy a Nikon D810 and a set of fast zooms. When last I

shopped for equipment B&H had a sterling reputation. Now I see some highly negative reviews of B&H. Is B&H still a good online

seller? Is purchases online through B&H still tax exempt?

Thanks.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>B&H is still an excellent mail order house. Adorama has improved in the last decade and is essentially just as good now. I also have great experience with Amazon.com.</p>

<p>The very best stores are going to get a few bad reviews. I wouldn't worry about it.</p>

BTW, shipping is a major factor in my online

purchases now. B&H, Adorama and Amazon often have

the same prices. So I go with the one that offers

free shipping. Easy returns are a factor too,

although I rarely return anything.

I'd say my experiences with those Big Three are

about the same overall. All good.

<p>BTW, Chuck, I just notice that I indeed hadn't seen your name here much in the last 10 years or so. I remember that you used to be a frequent participant here. Welcome back to photography. Hope to see you post more often again.</p>

<p>Yes, B&H is still good, so is the Nikon D810. However, whatever compact flash memory cards you may still have from a decade ago are going to be very slow on the D810. I have an old card that can hold a grand total of 3 RAW files, after reformatting on the D810. Technically it still "works," but you need to change cards a lot more frequently than changing 36-exposure film.</p>

<p>B&H is one of the most reliable companies out there. I mostly buy used stuff from ebay now and save tons of money, but when I buy something I can't find at a reasonable price used, I generally buy from B&H. I agree that Adorama has drastically improved and now consider them reliable as well.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>When I can get free shipping and comparable prices, I go with B&H. Otherwise, I go with Amazon and sometimes Adorama.</p>

<p>For used equipment, I go with KEH and eBay. </p>

<p>It is hard to recommend B&H too highly, in my opinion. It's still the best, I think, but the margin has been affected by free shipping through Amazon Prime.</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

<p>I've never had a single issue with B&H in many many purchases, both personal and business, for over 20 years. They are probably the best online retail business I've ever dealt with. I've shopped in their store, too, and it's equally great.</p>

<p>Adorama is also great, although I haven't bought from them quite as much.</p>

<p>Amazon is good, but they don't always ship the same day I order.</p>

<p>I had recommended B&H, Adorama, Amazon, and KEH to a new photographer. During a recent trip to New York, she went shopping at B&H. When she return to Chicago, she reported to me that she was very pleased with her new purchases and the personal service she received at B&H.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>B+H has to be one of the best, if not THE best ever. Fair prices, great shipping. And a visit to the NYC store is a real treat! I'd not hesitate to order from them again.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Thank you and the many others here kind enough to speak well of us. It's very gratifying.</p>

<p>Henry Posner<br /><strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

<blockquote>

<p>Tax collection varies between states. I'm in Texas. All the major online retailers collect state sales tax now for Texas. Suits me. Public services aren't free. And it puts local retailers on equal footing for customer service.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>B&H Photo collects sales tax for in-store purchases if you take your merchandise with you and we collect sales tax for any order shipped to an address in NY state. For orders shipped to any address outside NY state we do not (and may not) collect sales tax. That includes Texas.</p>

<p>Henry Posner<br /><strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video