AW130 Need to figure out a way to auto upload to cloud storage

wyattisbell

I've never used Nikon's "wireless mobile utility", but apparently it can download images from the camera to the phone; you should then be able to upload them from your phone in the same way you would for images taken with your phone's camera, or there's a "sharing pictures" section in the manual - apparently "share" in Nikon speak means "to the cloud" rather than "to a contact". If you're printing them, ignore Nikon's advice to reduce the resolution when transferring multiple images.

I believe the camera sets up a wifi network to which the phone needs to connect, which means it won't be using wireless data, and you'll have to disconnect from the camera to do the actual upload. This may not be an issue on a boat, since your phone's connection might be a bit limited, depending on where the boat is.

If you want everything to upload instantly, I'm not sure the integrated facility in the camera will do it (I could be wrong), but you could try picking up an Eye-Fi SD card, which may then be able to connect directly to the internet if your phone is set to tethering.

With the enormous proviso that I've never done this and have never owned a Nikon compact camera, I hope that's a useful pointer. But you may find it easier just to copy the stuff off the camera when you're on dry land!

• Like 1

I have no experience with this camera, but from what I read, probably the easiest way is using a mobile device in between. Connect to the camera wifi with a mobile phone or tablet, and use the client-app for your cloud storage on the mobile device to upload the images.

[edit]: posted near same time with Andrew so lots of duplicate info....

• Like 1

Nikon's WiFi connection software (WMU) is quite limited and not at all reliable IME.

WMU appears to be the only way to connect to the camera's wireless network. I've tried connecting the camera directly to a router or wireless enabled computer without success.

As others have said, the easiest way is to use a mobile device with Nikon's WMU loaded, and upload the files to the internet from there.

• Like 1