Availible Light Studio Portrait

I have just put together a small home studio with background,

reflectors and difusers. No lights yet as I'm still trying to figure

out availible light. I'm working on getting the lighting and color

correct and it has often been a challenge.

This shot was taken with sunlight diffused through a panel with a

reflector to camera left. I set WB off a Kodak grey card and set

manual exposure off the same. The colors appear OK to me, but the

exposure seemed a bit dark so I brightened up the model a bit with a

levels adjustment then masked the adjustment layer and kept the

backgroud dark grey to make the model stand out a bit from it.

Should I have had to do this since I was using a grey card for

exposure and is this sort of levels and masking work something that

is often done? All the images seemed a little "dull" before this

work.

Any thoughts on the quality (or lack of quality) of the lighting and

color would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.<div>008SeA-18276784.thumb.jpg.7d06ca9a8de5e7738ba045749cdb4f5e.jpg</div>

<<Should I have had to do this since I was using a grey card for exposure and is this sort of levels and masking work something that is often done? All the images seemed a little "dull" before this work.>>

So open up your exposure a bit. The grey card is one standard, but clearly your own tastes lean toward a bit more light. Fine. Do what you like with YOUR exposures, and let the grey card get its own %&^%$# exposures and its own studio.

<<Any thoughts on the quality (or lack of quality) of the lighting and color would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.>>

I think the reflector to camera left isn't quite pumping enough photons back at that side of her face... but again we are talking about personal preferences and individual choices. There is nothing incorrect in the shot you post here. There are things I would adjust on one direction... and others might go the other way... so again, do what works for YOU and also what works for your subjects.

I do suspect some people would prefer the sort of look you get with studio strobes. If you are beginning in business you may need to budget for strobes and umbrellas and stands, so you have the option to supplement available light with soft artificial light.

Be well,

Thanks guys. I only sharpened the eyes and mouth a bit so that's why things look a bit soft. This was shot digitally with no in camera sharpening. Maybe I'll try a little sharpening on the whole image next time and see what that looks like. I was having trouble refecting enough light back in from camera left. I was using a white screen. Would the silver side reflect in more light? The screen I have is one of those reversable ones, but I've never used the silver panel.

You're right, I like the images a bit brighter than an exposure off the grey card will make them. So, does it matter if I over expose a bit while taking the shot or make the corrections with lavels adjustments? Same result either way? Thanks again for the help.