Availability of Technidol for Kodak Tech Pan 50

rick_gray

Greetings! I continue to search far and wide in Canada for Kodak's technidol developer. I was told by Freestyle LA

that it has been discontinued as of April 2008. I have 20 rolls of Tech Pan and love this film. Is there a close

alternate for this developer? What about POTA? A thousand thanks for your input/advice.

I get good results with TP from several developers, including: Burton's 195, Photo' Formulary TD-3, and my own developers

(510-Pyro, Hypercat, GSD-10). I even formulated a few developers specifically for TP, based on a single developing agent

dissolved in TEA (Triethanolamine), specifically metol and phenidone, along with Pat Gainer's pyrogallol-TEA, and all worked

very well once dilution, time, temp and agitation were worked out. Some people report good results with dilute Rodinal, but

I've never tried that myself. I don't miss Technidol. Good luck.

There are many good developers for TP. The easiest one to use is probably Ilford Microphen at 1:5. You can see starting point times at the unblinkingeye.com website. LeZot Camera in Burlington, VT has a whole bunch of Technidol in the foil packets. I would try them first.

Hi Rick,

I hate Technidol, but love Tech Pan, I have complete information with Rodinal 1:100, it is sharper, and faster than the other stuff. Equally well in 35mm, 120, sheet films. We used it for years for our students and here in the college. It has a brownish cast something like Pyro, incredible quality.

Normal conditions: Rodinal 1:100, ASA/ISO 64, 68F, 7min - 70F, 6.5min - 72F, 5.5min - 75F, 5min

Agitate vigorously for 15 seconds then 5 sec each minute.

For more information, email me.

Lynn