Autofocus in Tv, Av, M, and B mode not working on 5d Mark II but it works in auto.

Discussion in 'Canon EOS' started by frances_corner, May 4, 2015.

1. Hi, apologies if this is a really obvious question, I'm a bit of a newbie. I bought a second hand Canon 5D Mark II on ebay a couple of weeks ago. I have had problems with the autofocus.
    I am using a Canon 35mm f2 lens on it at the moment. In CA and Auto mode (green box) the autofocus works fine, so its not the connections or anything, but I put the camera in Tv, Av, M or B mode and the autofocus doesn't kick in at all, it just takes the shot.
    I initially solved this by clearing the camera settings on all of these modes, but it has happened again. I can't seem to find help in the manual, or on a google search, possibly because I'm not sure what I'm looking for so I was hoping someone might be able to advise me, please? Really hope I haven't bought a faulty camera!
    Thanks in advance!
    Frances

2. Have you tried to see if it is set for back focus?

3. Hi Robert. Oops - that's exactly what it was. I've managed to reset it now. Thanks for your help.
    Frances

4. Your C.Fn AF settings have it turned off/changed. I would guess C.Fn IV 1 or 2 is the culprit (refer to pg 201 in the manual).

5. If there are more issues like these it's probably wise to take the backup battery (button cell) and the main batteries out for an hour or so (and put them back). This will reset the camera to the factory conditions and will make it easier to follow the manual. And it never hurts to check whether the original owner has upgraded the body to the most recent firmware version.

6. It also never hurts to replace the backup battery, which on a 5D Mark II may be up for replacement around this time (5 years). When the backup battery becomes weak, the camera acts up in strange ways.