Autofocus does not work consistently

williamting

<p>I have a D200 and a small range of primes and zooms. I swap lenses quite a bit and my biggest frustration is that after swapping a lens, the autofocus may not work (on zoom, 3rd party zoom, and AF-D lenses) at all.</p>

<p>This can sometimes be fixed by turning off and on the camera repeatedly while trying to autofocus. Sometimes this can be fixed by detaching and reattaching the lens. I will usually </p>

<p>I have cleaned all the contacts on the camera and lens with a lens cloth but it doesn't seem to help. Is there anything else I can try before sending it in?</p>

<p>If this is occurring with "screwdriver" type autofocus Nikkors and third party lenses, is it possible the blade driven by the body and the mating slot in the lens haven't meshed? Out of habit, whenever I mount a mechanical linkage AF Nikkor or third party lens I always gently twist the lens focus ring until it mates with the driving blade on the body.</p>

<p>@Matt: I try to change lenses with the camera off, but don't always remember to turn it off first.</p>

<p>@Lex: I have tried moving the focus ring until it clicks, and then auto-focusing but it doesn't help.</p>

<p>@Dan: I have mounted my lenses on a friend's camera and they work fine. Also, I doubt the same problem can occur across 5-6 of my lenses. :(</p>

<p>One thing I noticed about my D200 was that, because of how I grabbed the body with my left hand - often while about to change lenses - I sometimes nudged the M/S/C lever switch to a position slightly between two of those positions, making the camera stupid. I caught myself with this problem several times. Does this happen regardless of which position that switch is in?</p>