Auto Vivitar Telephoto 400/6.3: Adapt to DSLR?

drew bedo

<p>I have just picked up this 70s era lens for a song: I'm talking Starbucks and a scone. Its in great shape a in all respects and is in Minolta mount.</p>

<p>Is this a T-4 lens?</p>

<p>Cann it be adapted for use on a Canon or Nikon DSLR?</p>

<p>I dont think it is T-4, but I may be wrong. If it is a solid Minolta mount lens then it is for the Minolta SR mount. The flange focal distance for that mount is shorter then the distance for Canon or Nikon cameras. They make adapters, but they will contain an extra correction glass inside to correct that shortcoming. Which really doesnt make it worthwhile to add another piece of glass into the equation when it will most likely be cheaply made glass of dubious quality and coatings.</p>

<p>The lens will be easily adaptable to most mirrorles cameras since they have an incredibly short flange to focal distance so they require no correction glass. The adapter is basically just an empty spacing tube.</p>

<p>Also, be careful about posting the same question in multiple forums. Generally frowned upon.</p>

<p>Might be easier to sell the lens to a Minolta user and then buy a used T-mount 400mm f6.3. Most of these are surprisingly good, especially if stopped down a bit. An inexpensive way to get extreme telephoto on a DSLR (if willing to sacrifice auto focus and auto aperture).</p>