Auto Flash Setting for Nikon D300

mike_g16

I hope this is not a stupid question. I just picked up a Nikon D300 as a

replacement to a D50.

On the D50, when I had it set for auto-flash, the "pop-up" flash would pop up

and flash when the camera determined it was needed.

Where do I find that setting on the D300?

If I manually open the pop-up flash, it flashes but if I don't, it doesn't pop

up by itself to flash.

Thanks,

Mike

So then is it correct to say that if the flash doesn't "pop open" automatically when needed, it will still nevertheless automatically know when to flash and when not to when it is opened manually?

In other words, if I turn on the camera and manually open the flash and take say 50 pictures, the camera will flash when needed and will not when it is not needed. Or do I have to tell it whether to flash each time I snap a picture.

I know that this is more of a professional model than the lower models, but my wife has been interested in really learning about cameras for some time now and wanted one that would be very powerful once she finished her learning curve. However, in the meantime, she was planning on relying on all of the auto features and we just assumed this was one of them.

It was a toss up between this and the Canon 40d. And if I have to bring the Nikon back to exchange it, they will likely want to charge me a restocking fee (15% of $2200 = $330)...

Thanks for the quick response to the initial question and please forgive my ignorance... :)

You have to tell it whether to flash each time she snaps a picture.

If she wants to rely on auto features, simply advice her to use flash on almost all pictures, at least on those who are under low light, strong backlight or high shadows on portraits. The iTTL flash system is really good, probably the best.

The D300 is the second best Nikon digital camera ever, you`ll not be dissapointed... as you say once she learn a bit about it, she will be able to get a lot of it.

You`re welcome.

With only a little practice, Mike, you'll know when you're looking at a scene where some fill flash will be helpful. Just pop the flash up when you think you'll need it, and pop it back down when you know you won't. If it's in TTL mode, it really will work quite well. But you're actually a better judge of when it's needed than the camera could ever be... just start looking at your subject with that in mind, and you'll be on the way to producing better images regardless - because it will get you thinking more about the light.

This camera comes with a substantial owners manual. Check the Index, look under either "flash", "pop-up flash", or "automatic flash", and read all the pages and procedures you find there. I would think it strange if a camera as capable as a d300 does NOT support this function in some way.

"I would think it strange if a camera as capable as a d300 does NOT support this function in some way." -

there are different cameras for different users, and one should not expect to drag "novice" or amateur designated features to more advanced camera designs.

So, you already discovered, as Jose explained, that you must know when to use the flash with D300 and when not. With D50, the camera knew when to use it, and even when poped up it did not fire all the time, but only when there was insufficient ambient light, depending on camera mode.

Similarly, perhaps you noticed that D300 has missing the camera predefined modes setings knob. D50 had best predefined settings for Auto, Portrait, Landscape, Sport, Night, etc. but not D300.

Those auto modes were great for non-professional users on D50 and D70 cameras. You could set it for intended purpose and hand it over to your grandma or mother in law, and expect good pictures.

Also the predefined camera modes on D50/D70 were great for those who use cameras infrequently, and tend to forget what was the best setting they used earlier. If that was a D300 could lead to necessary re-learning. With D50, you just dial the knob as appropriate.

As you can see D300 expects photographer to know a lot more about photography in general, and the pre defined modes were removed already from D200 model.