Australia ... Photography locations

alhamrani

Hi all,

I am planning to travel to Australia this year, and i will stay in Melbourne, but i may go around nearby

sometimes during my vacation there, so my question is: Where are the best locations of landscapes, waterscapes

and nature to go there?

I'm in Newcastle (North of Sydney) , but on flicker there is a very active group called the hunter valley group. They would

probably have some great discussions and ideas, and probably a few photos from the area. I hope this helps. - Lex

As I recall, the government has a copyright on the entire southern coast - you need permission to publish any photos. Furthermore, photography is illegal on beaches. There are good bars everywhere, if that's any solice - but I might be wrong on other counts ;-)

I haven't heard anything about the Australian government holding any copy rights, granted I'm in a different state, but there

is a lady in the Flicker group which seems to know a lot about the photographers rights in AU and I bet if she doesn't

already know she would know where to go to find out. I hope this helps. - Lex

Edward is incorrect, Tareq. Photography is completely in public places, including beaches. As to a 'copyright' on land, that's absurd.

Just be prepared to have people, including those in positions of authority, telling you otherwise. Be polite, move on, and don't surrender films or memory cards.

As a resident of Melbourne, I would also invite you to check out the Melbourne group on Flickr.

Edward, I took some photos on the beach here in Melbourne last week. It is certainly not illegal. As for copyright, you

are supposed to get a permit for "commercial" shooting in National Parks. That surely excludes tourists.

The two standard drives people take overseas visitors on are the Great Ocean Road to Port Fairy (doable in a day, but

best for a weekend) and the Yarra Valley to Healesville. There's a Sanctuary (really a zoo, now) at Healesville where

you can see all the standard Australian animals. Further along that same road you pass through

some spectacular mountain ash forests.

A bit further afield is the High Country to the NE and the Mallee to the NW. Don't think of attempting these in less than 3

or 4 days if you are not used to driving the distances. The High Country is "Man from Snowy River" country, after

Australia's national poem. The Mallee is a spectacular but isolated semi-arid area - do not attempt this without a local

along.

There is plenty of wildlife within the suburbs. Possums are in most streets and gardens, I get buzzed every evening by the cockatoos, and

there's a mob of roos down the road. You should see something if you go camping and walking in any of the National Parks.

One more comment: foreign tourists without the high driving skills required for some of these roads are an increasing menace. Please

remember we drive on the left (yes, I'm serious, I've seen people not on a mountain road) and please use the marked slow vehicle pullover

areas on the two roads I mentioned - the local behind you can probably drive it much, much faster than you.

Victoria is a <b>BIG</b> place. There is tons to see and shoot.<p>

<p>

Some of my favorite spots...

<ul>

<li>Penguin Parade on Phillip Island. Touristy but fun

<li>Another vote for the Great Ocean Road. <p><ul><li>Make sure you drive out to Cape Otway. We must of seen a dozen Koalas right off the road<li>The formerly 12 Apostles (now only 11) is pretty photogenic- there are some really good sea caves with paths into them there too<li>Port Fairy has a pretty good pub/restaurant ('Southern Cross?') and a cool little harbor </ul>

<li>Melbourne itself has got some special architecture- lots of colonial lacework cottages and row houses in all states of repair. There is a great park along the river and a quite photogenic War Memorial. Keep in mind a lot of the highways in Melbourne are toll roads (CityLink) Oh and there is always Luna Park.....

<li>If you have the time the Grampians are worth visiting- though they were pretty scorched a couple of years ago.

</ul>

Have fun.

WOW, thank you very very much for all these answers, i really appreciate it so much.

I hope i can stay for 1 month whole, but seems i just stay for 2 weeks or 3 at most, so i hope i can visit many places as much as i can, i was hoping to visit Sidney and Gold Coast but i know i can take almost half day or more to reach those places on road, and i never drive myself overseas, so i will just use general transport such as buses, trains, taxis if cheap and so.

I will note and write down those places you posted as reference and i will keep searching and reading information about Australia and Victoria State or Melbourne, i think i will be happy if i will be in 3 places outstanding to take some photos, just to be in right place on right time and i will do my best with your help ofcourse to know where to go.

In addition, i am looking for to shoot Koalas and Kangaroos, and another wildlife and birds if so.

Sydney is 990km by road, not all of it good road. Flights take 1h 40min. Something you may not have realized about

Australia is that it is highly urbanised. Most of us live in the major cities of Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane/Gold Coast and

Perth and most of the rest in the smaller cities. Therefore there is not good public transport in rural areas.

<p>

You're coming to the right state to see koalas. There has been a very successful conservation program to reestablish

them here, such that they are now being exported to South Australia. There are large numbers of koalas on Phillip

Island, and the better bus tours to see the Penguin Parade (as suggested by Andrew above) should stop to see them.

Obviously they are up trees - it's not a petting exhibit like that at Sydney's Taronga Zoo.

<p>

Kangaroos don't roam freely in the cities. You will see them in National Parks, generally at dusk in open grassy areas. In

some places they are tame. I think Zumsteins campground in <a href="http://www.visithallsgap.com.au">the Grampians</a>

used to be one of those places.

There are several park areas within two hours of Melbourne that can be good for wildlife.

I took <a href=" shot</a> out at the Grampians, which is a good half-day each way by train but worth it if you're ever out here for longer.

I may do some street photography or candids there if i can, just i try to avoid people as i can't go to take permission from all to take photos of them, i would like to take natural expression or behave of people, but i faced few situations where i wish if i didn't take of people, so i keep myself with nature and landscapes in open space and not private, and i also try to be away from traffic and crowded places, but i will do cityscape at night which is great, i love night sots as one of my favorite aspect in photography, and Melbourne is great in that no doubt.

Thanks again Micheal, just i hope i can do some great photography there.

Wilson's Promontory and the Great Ocean Road to the Twelve Apostles are certainly two trips worth doing. Allow a

minimum of a weekend or better still 3 days to stop at the small towns and cafes along the way.

Another trip to think about is the Great Alpine Road from Myrtleford, to Bright, Omeo and on to Bairnsdale and

Lakes Entance. You can visit Mt Buffalo and Mt Hotham along the way. Check the weather conditions before you

travel but the Australian Alps at any time of year are well worth a visit and quite different to the mountain regions in

other countries. I would allow at least 3 days to do this, staying one night in Bright and one night in Lakes Entrance.

I have a few photos in my Australia folder, but they are mostly taken around southern New South Wales, which is

where I live at the moment.

Geoff Francis wrote:

<p>

<i>Another trip to think about is the Great Alpine Road... Check the weather conditions before you travel...</i>

<p>

This road remains open during winter, but you must carry (and will probably need to use) snow chains. One-way chain hire

may be possible.

I will travel to Australia in November, so i hope this month is normal good nice weather.

I was thinking to join any photography workshop or tour there but that will be pricey for me in some points, and i don't want photography courses, i just want to be in right places there and i will use my skill.

November normally brings one or two wild spring storms in Melbourne - torrential rain and 100km/h winds. Otherwise, it's

usually pleasantly warm and fine, occasionally very hot (40 C). This is considered the best month to go hiking in the

High Country, although you need to be prepared for the rare blizzard. The roads are all open to 2WD vehicles and chains

are not required, although it's not silly to carry them if you have some. Bushfires are another possible disruption, especially in the Mallee

where lightning starts them. Of course, the climate is very different on the other side of the continent.

The first Tuesday in November is Melbourne Cup Day, so if you plan to be here then or the preceding weekend or fly in

or out then you need to get accommodation and flights organized soon.

I'm not sure what you're asking about with "the right places". The 1 to 4 day trips already suggested will get you much

more than the 3 or 4 good shots you asked for if you keep your eyes open. If it's "standard shots" or cliches you're

asking for, the only ones I can think of are The Twelve Apostles (Ocean Rd.), Bridal Veil Falls (Ocean Rd.), The Nobbies

(Penguin Parade), the city from Williamstown (tourist cruise from Southgate or suburban train), and Fed Square from

Southgate.

If you can ride a horse I would suggest a trail riding tour through the High Country at that time of year.