August in Death Valley, I'm not crazy, right?

gavin.zougmail.com

On my way from vegas to Yosemite, I'll run through Death Valley. Can

I do it, with a Minivan? How should I adjust tire pressure? Water

and water, I know it. Last time I walked alone in 105 degree in Gold

valley for a while. This time, I won't do it, 'cause it's 120 degree

now! But besides this extreme experience, can you guys give me some

hints to catch the feeling of hot, I mean, in my pictures? I saw a

lot of pictures that are great, but plain and cool. How should I

picture the boiling heat? Maybe it's interesting topic. Thanks in

advance.

You could fry an egg sunny side up on a rock. Remember, it gets hot in Vegas too. I've walked around in Vegas in 110 degrees F at midnight. You might contact AAA in Vegas to ask about the tire pressure. Take provisions to survive if you have a flat tire, like a cell phone or maybe a cb radio. And yes, keep water in the car.

I've never tried it, but I would attempt some road photos with the hot air distortions that occur. A low angle might be needed, not sure about shutter speed (slow probably). Perhaps those water mirages may show up? _Greg_

Thanks for your suggestions. I did a little research. Death valley is the second hottest place on earth. The first is the Dallol Depression in Ethiopia. But it doesn't matter. The highest recorded ground temperature in DV is 201 degree. Perfect cookie plant, right?

OK, OK, I will call the rangers there first. Last time I drove a 4x4. It was fine in 110 degree air temperature. I even left the car and hiked a half mile alone. This time, I'll drive a minivan. Not sure about the radiator and tires. Anyway I won't leave the pavement too far. Hopefully to see some snakes in shadow.

No problem, I've been there in July with a regular car. I thought it was a great experience - not especially pleasant but it gives you a real appreciation for the desert and you avoid the winter crowds. Just take LOTS of water in case something happens. I doubt you'll see snakes at low altitude in August, it's too hot even at night (if I remember correctly the lowest temperature I saw was a bit over 90F (32C) just before dawn). I did see birds panting in the shade of the date trees near the visitor center though.<p>Karl Lehmann <a href="http://www.lostworldarts.com/new_page_3.htm">Lost World

Arts</a>

As long as you don't try ridiculous roads, the minivan will be fine. It will need to be in good condition, the proper coolant mixtures, etc. Stay on the roads and stay with the vehicle in an emergency, unless you are immediately adjacent to aid. Don't expect to be able to walk for help.

Keep up with weather conditions, there were just some major thunderstorms and flash floods in that area with some road damage.