At the beach with Non-AI 28mm lens

<p>I recently picked up a Nikkor H NAI 28mm f/3.5 lens. This is a smaller and compact lens than the 50mm NAI lens. Very neat focusing ring and has the silver color barrel. I paired it with Nikkormat FTn and took it to the beach. It was a cloudy and rainy day unfortunately. Not a good day in particular for photography. Managed to get some shots still. <br /><br />Film used is Riteaid 400, processed and scanned at CVS. <br /><br />Appreciate all your comments</p><div>00aPqd-468235584.JPG.f97f5d84d8ad86b8b0a5e84207bbe84e.JPG</div>

<p>'Sand and Surf' is the best shot by far. Perhaps you could improve on that composition by introducing a human subject. However, it does work as it is - it has an aura of tranquility. Too bad the light was flat that day!</p>

<p>A suggestion: maybe mount the camera low to the sand and photograph the water as it comes in. I've seen some pretty good beach photos on Lomography.com so maybe have a look there for some ideas. Oh, and I do like your choice of camera - I have an F2 as well. ;-) The film seems a bit grainy for its speed, but sometimes that can be an asset. Some films have nicer grain than others, though.</p>

<p>Apart from 'Wave', the others can go into the proverbial 'round file'. :-)</p>

<p>Nice scenes. I do like the 28/3.5 in any version. My ultimate "grab and go camera" is a Nikkormat FT2 with 24mm 2.8 'K', but the 28 comes a very close second, alongside any 50mm f2. The top meter window on the Nikkormats is great for setting up candid shots.</p>

<p><br />Karim Ghantous: A human element on that picture could have certainly imporved that picture as you suggested. One a day with winds at about 35mph there was hardly anyone in sight ! That was the unfortunate part. But then sea is always fascinating and beautiful in any light. That's mother nature.<br>

Luis G: You are so right. Some webiste do mention that this f3.5 version is an inexpensive version. I was the lone bidder for this.<br>

JDM: Thank you. Gray is the word. I was always seeing it as colorless or dull.<br>

Rick: Thank you.<br>

Alan Clayton: Thank you. This is my first wide angle lens. This one seems to have performed well and is compact too with a solid feel. My favorite is 50mm.<br>

Cory: Thank you.<br /> <br /> </p>

<p>You got a great lens. The early Pre-AI Nikkors are some of the most beautiful lenses ever made. They are a bargain on the used market as well. 28mm just seems like a natural view for landscapes. Hope to see more posts with this lens soon.</p>