Astrophotography (Galaxies & Nebulas)

Discussion in 'Nature' started by erikhatfield, Dec 12, 2017.

1. I've always photographed the night's sky, especially when away from a city's lights. Usually with a wide angle, and sometimes with star trails. Only recently have I started focusing in on objects in the deep sky.

I'm still learning the best way to counter the Earth's rotation.

Orion Nebula (2000mm telescope and shakey t-mount)
    [​IMG]

And Andromeda Galaxy using a 35-200mm manual focus Rokinon lens- which made it easy to find objects at 35mm- and then zooming to 200mm to get a closer look. Sometimes, the lens would zoom on it's own (only once did it do that)

[​IMG]
    Andromeda at 30mm and f/1.4

[​IMG]
    Andromeda at 200mm using a clock drive aligned to the north star.

[​IMG]
    I've heard this referred to as 'zoom creep' or 'lens creep'... no creeping here, this is warp speed :D

More astrophotography here: #starstruck | Nature's Company | 3rik.me | Digital Showcase

2. Nice.
    I've been thinking about making one of those hinge mounts with a manual screw.
    I just bought an old Nikon 20mm and have some nice dark skies at the place in Missouri.
    Find those galaxies in a Dobsonian is a thrill.

3. Sandy Vongries

Sandy Vongries Moderator Staff Member

A trick popular back in the '60's when the push / pull zooms first came out in any numbers. Works well in your photo.

dcstep likes this.
  4. Nice.

I've actually got a reflector telescope (Meade EQ 114) but it's usually too cold or too hot here to use it as much as I would have hoped. Unfortunately our transition seasons often only last a day or two. :confused:
    I haven't got the camera adapter and the motor drive yet....

Here's Ursa Major hand held with a Canon 35mm f/2 at ISO 25600 1/4 sec.
    Night-Sky.jpg

dcstep likes this.