Astro Photography

Discussion in 'Casual Photo Conversations' started by http://www.photo.net/barryfisher, Jan 14, 2022.

1. I think some of you out there do some of this type of photography. I came across this last night and thought some might be interested. I don't know how accurate it is never having done it myself.

Glenn McCreery and mikemorrell like this.
  2. If anything, after all the discussions here regarding processing etc., This is really a tutorial on not only capturing the pic but an extensive step by step on use of Photoshop for those that may be interested in that. It's pretty technical and is an hour long.

mikemorrell and Ricochetrider like this.
  3. I’m always captivated by photos of stars and space. I know little about the process of makingg a long exposure starscape- but I do know people use tracking tripod heads to reduce blur… and I know that if dew is a problem that there are lens heaters too.
    I tried to make a long exposure star photo once and it was dewfall that killed the effort. Coulda should made a few shorter exposures just to gauge things for next time; alas, I did not.

4. I've never done it at all, just stumbled on this, but I like the way these guys had figured out how to do this relatively "on the cheap". Without a telescope or tracking mechanism. It's pretty involved process, and his photoshop work I found fascinating. I've never made that many adjustments on a photo ever, and I was interested on how he went about dealing with the color casts. Pretty cool, no?, to see an object as it was over a million light years ago in more detail then just looking at the sky. Makes me want to get a good telescope.

Ricochetrider and mikemorrell like this.
  5. What a fascinating video on DIY Astrophotography! Perhaps this applies to all amateur Astrophotography, but it definitely seems like a labor of love! I thought the video was well-presented and (as a complete novice) covered some great basic points for people who want to get started. Which I don't:).

When I got to the end of the video, I couldn't remember (being old) what all of those hundreds of images were for or why stacking was so important. Google helped me out as usual. I was surprised to find so many web pages (some of which included embedded videos) which summarized this video's main points, though not in so much detail. What I learned was that:
    - stacking significantly increased the 'signal (stars, galaxies, planets) to (different types of) noise' ratio
    - the best stacking programs automatically 'align' different images based on pattern recognition

What I gleaned from a quick scan of some of the web pages was that:
    - 'deep space photography' (like the Andromeda galaxy) is perhaps the most challenging type of amateur Astrophotography; photographing our planets, our galaxy, nearby stars, and 'events' like comet trails are easier and don't perhaps require such a large number of images and so extensive post-processing; the more faint stars and galaxies appear in our night sky, the more photographic work is needed to make them visible
    - some web pages have a less 'scientific' approach to calculating shutter speed, exposure, etc.; they go more by 'rule of thumb' based on experience; for example, one web page advocates stacking exposures of up to 30 seconds.

Anyway, this is a photography genre that until now, I knew absolutely nothing about. Many thanks for sharing this link!

Mike

6. I used to have an interest is astrophotography but eventually came to the conclusion that the results are directly proportional to how much money one is willing to spend. There are people so into it, and with far more resources than I'll ever have, that my feeble efforts never satisfied me, not to mention living in a place where decent viewing nights are relatively few.

7. Depends. If you want to collect images of nebulae, galaxies and such, you need to spend a bit more over your photography budget. If you content yourself with relatively wide field or even very wide field images (milky way over a landscape, for instance. A popular genre), you need no more than you already have as a photographer. The stacking software is free. Beautiful images are made using no more than a digital camera with wide angle lens, a good tripod (no tracker necessary, though yes, such a thing would expand possibilities), a lot of patience, and stacking software. And, of course, good locations. Not even a light polution filter.