Astonished at the audacity

dmcgphoto

Evening all, I'm still trying to get my head around this one, and I'm looking, I suppose, for a shared sense of outrage.<br>

Here's the story: Photographer posts on one of my boards that she is being laid off and has to break at least 6 wedding contracts because in order to keep up with the bills she has to go out of state for work. Would a photographer please help her and take the brides off her hands, wedding dates include (among others) one on April 19th of this year. Most of the brides are friends and referrals and would someone be able to do them at the rate she quoted.</p>

<p>Okay, I bit, said I would help, hey! 6 weddings on my plate why not? But the brides will need to meet with me and sign one of my contracts because I don't work on handshakes.</p>

<p>Photographer won't return calls but says how busy she is, but would I be willing to give her a 10percent referral fee because she did the legwork and sold them on the product. Because **she will be in Europe and broke and the Euro is going to kill her!"<br>

**Please tell me your jaw is open**<br>

I said I would think about it, and I did, and after not getting a return call, I do get an email saying that one photog offered her 15 percent for the contracts, and she MIGHT not have to be out of town (country) for the April 19th..but she isn't sure.<br>

I have since responded thusly:<br>

I'm not trying to be rude, I'm really not. <br /> I just don't think you are handling this in a professional manner. <br /> Rather than give you a lecture on the legal and ethical ramifications of breaking contracts and asking for a percentage, I think it would be best if I wished you and your brides well, and rescinded my offer to assist. <br /> Best of luck.<br>

I take great time and effort to educate clients and potential clients whom I have no real expectation of signing that they have to look for professionals, not art students, not people who love to photograph, but pros who are in the business, I'm not trying to upset those of you who do weddings on the side and are completely responsible, I'm not.</p>

<p>It just irks me to no end that someone would take money from another promising them work and then not honor a contract.</p>

<p>I feel for those brides, I feel for the photographers who have to really deal with the kind of broken trust that this person creates among our potential clients.</p>

<p>I'm still steaming, but my rant is done.<br>

What are your thoughts?<br>

Daniel</p>

MODERATOR NOTE: The fish icon has been removed. Daniel - Please review your future posts to make sure it is not happening by accident. You should see the code in your post before you confirm it. If it is there - please delete it.

<p>I'm not sure what kind of crack this woman is smoking, but I'd send her down the road. She's not behaving professionally, she's out for money, and it really sounds like a scam; almost like one of those Nigerian scam artists. Her whole story is full of holes and you don't need this sort of problem.</p>

<p>Offer to take the brides off her hands as long as she refunds the retainer fees she's taken in from the clients in full, so the client can use the fees toward the new contract with you (assuming the client likes your work), and you will negotiate directly with the client. Ordinarly, retainer fees are non-refundable, because it's a fee to retain you for a certain date; if she's broken that contractual obligation herself, she has to refund that fee (to be ethical). If she tries to intervene in the negotiations, and/or withhold these funds, she's a scammer.</p>

<p>Don't steam over it, though. There is a world of hard-luck cases out there, and this person may just be desperate. Or a cuckoo case.</p>

<p>Being blunt: I would not have taken the bait. <br>

<br>

Form a network from known colleagues, and that becomes your redundancy network. Help only them out, and use intra-referrals only, within that network.<br>

<br>

As for this situation, simply: “Thanks, but no-thanks”, and walk. Having vented, it is done: Move on. You are now wasting energy and time if you put more effort or emotion into this.<br>

<br>

WW </p>

<p>While the whole thing is very inappropriate, I 'm not astonished and won't be able to tell you my jaw was open. While it is irritating to be strung along like this, I can't think of a better response than the one in William's last paragraph.</p>

<p>I feel bad for those clients.</p>

<p>A few years ago I picked up the pieces of anothers contracts (in a different business, mind you) after he skipped town. It turned out to be one major PITA and came close to doing damage to my reputation as I tried to fix his mess. Never again!</p>

<p>My recommendation would be: Be courteous, firmly decline her offer, wish her luck and don't even look in the rear view mirror as you speed away.</p>

<p>This is the kind of shenanigans that will kill the profession. I understand that job circumstances change....even for part-timers like the original poster pointed out. However, all the other proper resolutions have been pointed out....give back the retainer and slot a different tog in their place. <br>

The act of asking for a referral fee is just....low.<br>

Dave</p>

<p>How much did she quote for the gigs? The fact that she would be willing to give up SIX gigs tells me that she is most likely low-balling her services and passing the savings on to you :) I.E. if she gave up one gig, I would be less worried.<br>

If she is a "real" photographer and in need of money she should creatively market herself and try to book more photography. <br>

Bottom line here is that you are justified and correct. Some people have a warped sense of reality and are so selfish the actually believe that a complete stranger should jump at the chance to be at their disposal. Let her "sink" and "swim" away.</p>

<p>I am just blown away that she is offering her clients to a different photog without discussing it with the clients first! Don't they have a choice?! Sure it could be a scam - but if not... ugh. All photogs have a different style and if she IS for real - then there is a reason her clients chose HER.<br>

Definitely run away. If not just because she is shady - but because who even knows if the clients would like your style? Did she research your experience/portfolio?<br>

This is shady all around! And I would be just as offended/frustrated as you are. :)</p>

<p><em><strong>"I am just blown away that she is offering her clients to a different photog without discussing it with the clients first!" </strong></em><br>

<br>

I neither read that as a fact nor, IMO, was it implied. <br>

<br>

But it might be so. Also, I might have missed something. How did you come to this conclusion?</p>

<p>WW</p>

<blockquote>

<p>How did you come to this conclusion?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Okay I may have assumed a little too much. But, the fact that the photog is making at a bartering game "one photog offered her 15 percent," I think says a lot. Perhaps the clients are aware that they are being passed on, but to be playing "let's make a deal" with different photogs makes me think she's not considering the talent or experience nearly as heavily as she is considering the $$ she can make.<br>

Guess it's none of my business.</p>

<p><strong><em>"Guess it's none of my business."</em></strong><br>

Actually, I think it is our business, in regard to the fact, we were all asked to comment.<br>

I asked that specific question of you, as I was simply interested in your line of thinking. Thank you for taking the time to explain the "Why?" of the opinion you gave above.<br>

WW</p>