As Original as K1 model 612

<p>In my never ending search for more and more TLR cameras, I came across a camera that I thought it would add nicely to my TLR family. It was a little distressed and the seller wanted a lot for it. So I thought that I would email the seller and offer them half the price they were asking- it worked! few days later I got it. Its taking lens was not in register with the viewing lens, so after some cleaning I adjusted the top lens to sit true at infinity. I also noticed that the mirror was much thicker than the original one, so new one is on its way. Anyways, after some research, I have learned that what I have is a Rolleiflex Original model K1 612. There were only 820 produced.</p><div>00czx0-553086384.jpg.a1922c2c5cc118c722d7b42b2e8a3501.jpg</div>

<p>It features Zeiss Tessar 75mm f/3.8. No hinged back on this camera and no crank advanced. F&H produced four sub models 611, 612, 613, 614. The early versions accepted 117 film while later versions (some of them) took 620 film. I found a 620 spool in my spool bag and re-combuburated some 120 Fuji Acros. I took it out and wanted to see what I can get from this 1929 beauty.</p><div>00czx1-553086484.jpg.f630fc067e098b515f9505776f1774b5.jpg</div>

<p>I tell you what! This camera is quite a lady. First two shots and it showed it's delicate side. I had it on the tripod and I tried to rotate it by grabbing the body - OH NO! THE HORRORS! the unhinged back snapped loose, causing it to ajar a bit!. I thought it was over, but I still wanted to finish the roll. Turns out that only one shot got killed by the light, while the other one was injured a little.</p><div>00czx2-553086584.jpg.bb988b0c261ec4501855581fdfb7443f.jpg</div>

<p>I'm very happy with the performance of this camera and its Tessar. Outdoors shots were at f/5.6 and f/8, while the indoors were taken at f/4. I don't see myself using it much because it is already in rather delicate condition and given its rarity, I don't want to mess it up. I hope you enjoyed this short post.</p>

<p>Amazing. Love the pictures, but<br>

Have YOU got the bug!</p>

<p>I'm afraid most of us here have our little obsessions. Some make more sense than others. Some are more magnificent than others, too, I guess. ;)</p><div>00czxI-553087484.jpg.eb9f96115ae41c8d372f99033b4baffe.jpg</div>

<p>Have to love an old Rollei! These early models still have a slightly made-in-a-garage feel to them, but well made!<br>

I have a similar beast but mine uses the 117 film so I haven't actually used it as a normal 120 or 620 reel will not physically fit. From your post you can see where these early Tesssars shine, and that is in low light and at wider apertures...that really shows in the pic of the chair, nice post.</p>

<p>Kris,</p>

<p>These indeed are nice simple TLRs. I have two of this model with the 3.8 lens. One was overhauled by a California fellow. I bought the second from Germany to get all of the original paper manuals that are in German and English. Filters can be a problem. Both of the K1 models have two lens sizes. Filters for the viewing lens are 28.5 but the smaller 24mm filters for the taking lens are a pain to find. I recently got a set of the proxars for mine. With later models both of the lenses were the same 28.5 making paired sets a much easier issue for interchangeability. I was told a 24mm Rollei lens hood was made but have never seen one available, nor a photo to prove they actually exist. A friend was going to make a simple ring adapter for me (but so far hasn't) that would fit the 28.5 push-on or the locking lens hood so it could visually look right on the camera. I want all Rollie if possible. I even purchased a copy of the German first edition, in 1932, of Walter Heerings book on the Rolleiflex but it did not add any pertinent information about the K1. I believe the 1936 edition was the first to be available in English, but it might be 1934 too. Either way they are not common anymore in nice condition and the dustjacket.</p>

<p>I have wanted one of the models with the 4.5 lens but prices for them can be higher than prices for the 3.8 lens. So figure. </p>

<p>Keep shooting please so we all can enjoy the power of that first Rolleiflex TLR.</p>

<p>CHEERS...Mathew</p>

I once embarked on a journey to

purchase all yashica TLRs ever

made. Thus far, I only got few

models. The rare examples like

gray B or Rookie are hard to find

and quite pricey. I was

considering sending the original

Rollei to Mark for CLA but since

he's working on my Automat now,

the Original has to wait. Rolleis

sure have some kind of magic