As if I really needed it!

chuck909

I might hate myself in the morning, but I saw an 17mm FD at a reasonable price and pulled the trigger. The widest I have right now is a 20mm. My only regret is that it is not a BL. Oh, well. Please someone tell me that it is the greatest super wide ever made excluding the 14mm so I won't feel quite so guilty. (Don't tell my wife).

According to Canon at the time, this lens had "perfect" qualities

[ATTACH=full]1392791[/ATTACH]:rolleyes:

OK, I feel a little better, but still wish it was the BL. Tell the truth, I can't wait to take it for a spin. If I get any good shots, I'll post 'em here.

I owned the nFD version of the 17mm f4.0 and found it to be an outstanding lens for Waterfall and interior photography. No other lens I had and I had a bunch of third party lenses close to the same focal length came close to it.

Granted individual samples might vary.

Just got it a half hour ago. Surprised the FedEx delivers on Sundays.

I owned the nFD version of the 17mm f4.0 and found it to be an outstanding lens for Waterfall and interior photography. No other lens I had and I had a bunch of third party lenses close to the same focal length came close to it.

Granted individual samples might vary.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
According to Canon at the time, this lens had "perfect" qualities

[ATTACH=full]1392791[/ATTACH]:rolleyes:

JDM -- the technical description provided (changing the air distance) makes me wonder if they didn't use Floating Lens Element (FLE) design. If so, I didn't realize that was a manufacturing capability at the time (but very cool, if so!). Or am I misunderstanding the engineering feature Canon is referring to?

Also, I've owned this lens for several years although haven't shot with it lately. I'm motivated to try it out again.

.....the technical description provided (changing the air distance) makes me wonder if they didn't use Floating Lens Element (FLE) design. If so, I didn't realize that was a manufacturing capability at the time (but very cool, if so!). Or am I misunderstanding the engineering feature Canon is referring to?.....

Just checked. The FD 17mm did use floating elements. Canon started using floating elements on certain FD lenses back in 1971 when the FD lens line was introduced.

• 4 weeks later...